This is how Greece should respond to Erdogan: Extension of territorial waters and signing of EEZ with Cyprus and Egypt
Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis talks with Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costas, on the sidelines of the Political Community Summit in Prague, Thursday, October 06, 2022. APE-MPE, PRESS OFFICE OF THE PRIME MINISTER, DIMITRIS
By GIORGOS NUTSO*
I may read intently, watch with untiring interest the external Our politics and Greek-Turkish affairs, for my political scientific field and training to be sufficient, however, I do not intend to play expert, claiming the infallibility of my personal knowledge and assessment of the course of Greek-Turkish affairs…
Nevertheless, evaluating the development of events over time and x-raying the Turkish initiatives by reducing every decision and action to the near future, I believe that we must, beyond the deterrent crowns of our politicians and the combativeness of our armed forces, to take initiatives.
The international environment favors us.
The troublemakers of the international legal order are now known.
Imperial mental arrests seem abhorrent.
The threat of war (casus belli) on the part of Turkey in the event of exercising our right recognized by International Law and the Law of the Sea, overshadows the unity and alliance solidarity within NATO.
The former foreign minister of Syriza Mr. Kotzias, the international expert Mr. Filis and many more, they proposed the immediate extension of our territorial waters to 12 n.m. around Cretein copying the process followed for their expansion into the Ionian Sea.
I agree and add, as the first practical, substantial response to yesterday’s signing of an agreement between the Turks and the Libyans, for joint exploitation of the hydrocarbons south of Crete… to be followed by a second much more substantial response, with the extension of our territorial waters to the Aegean and the borders of the Eastern Mediterranean… and end with the co-signing of an agreement with the Cypriot brothers, for the definition of our common EEZ (idea if we managed to get Egypt to participate in it as well).
In the above moves, which constitute a unilateral and non-negotiable right of our country, no one will be able to notice and react. Nobody but Turkey…. And if that happens, I wonder what more we have to lose.
- We are almost mathematically headed for a heated episode (and very likely a generalized conflict), being today in a subordinate position compared to the Turks and only from the fact that they rejected and in every way we declare that we claim nothing, while they claim everything.
And this is something we will inevitably have to manage,
once we were at the negotiating table with the Turks.
- On the other hand, we are entering the logic of the inevitable scenario – with Turkey attacking our National sovereignty and our sovereign rights, which it is already questioning anyway – from a position of power in the eyes of the International community, as the aggressor and voracious Turk, it will be seen that he writes International law on his old shoes and tries to force his imperialist neo-Ottoman precepts…
- Greece is fighting not only for today, but for this new “greater” reality, which is justified and recognized by the international environment…
- She has allies with her, who, with their signatures, pledge to support her struggle with words and deeds…
- Stop once and for all the bulimia of the Turks, who unfortunately only understand the strength and determination of the opponent….
The oligarchy towards the directions suggested above is perceived by the opponent as cowardice, audacity and fear, with the result that day by day he spreads his net of offenses even more.
Therefore, determination and an iron fist are sought in the application of the quality that we will see, with the support and unity of our political system being the only capable and necessary condition for us to dare and succeed…….!
*Political scientist – Former mayor of Grevena
- The comments published on our website express their authors. Our website does not censor anyone’s opinions.
ALL NEWS FROM CYPRUS HERE, OPINIONS HERE, COMMENTS AND NON-POLITICAL NEWS HERE
ALL THE ARTICLES BY MICHALIS IGNATIOU HERE – FOR DEFENSE MATTERS HERE
They are preparing a fiesta in the occupied territories for Erdogan with new achievements: He is reaching the black “anniversary” of the pseudo-state.