16-year-old Prince Christian from Denmark is the son of Crown Prince Frederik (53) and Crown Princess Mary (50). He is thus number one in the line of succession to the Danish throne, something like a youthful life a little different than most.
With the eyes of the people on them, it is important to avoid mistakes, but it is not always easy.
On the second day of Easter, the 16-year-old was present during the settlement between FC Copenhagen and Brøndby at Parken in Copenhagen. Several have noticed the prince’s clothing, which definitely does not go down well with everyone. It reports Danish newspapers as Extra Bladet and BT.
The people are furious
The settlement between the arch-rivals is one of the biggest matches for Danish football enthusiasts, but several have taken to Twitter after the match for something completely different than the end result.
The prince was in fact wearing an FCK scarf, and thus took a clear stand in the rival settlement – something that has started the debate.
While some believe this is a giant roar, others go so far as to say that the royal house should be abolished.
A user attaches a given emoji and the subject tag «put down the royal house».
– It’s a lot of fun if you’re a FCK fan. But if one is everything else, then it is stupid, thoughtless and provocative. He must be the king of the whole country, and this is a giant roar. Some should have warned him, writes another.
A third writes that he loved the royal house until he was made aware of the prince’s maneuver.
BT has been in contact with the Danish royal family, who stated that they do not comment on what they consider to be a private matter.
Royal House expert Lars Hovbakke Sørensen tells Ekstra Bladet that it is still probable that we will see the heir to the throne in FCK clothes.
– The royal house is characterized by the fact that they do things that unite, and do not divide the nation.
However, Christian is not the first to be open about which team he agrees with. The Danish newspaper writes that his many years ago admitted that AGF was his favorite team, while it is AaB that is closest to Prince Joachim’s (52S) heart.
Must be neutral
In this country, too, the prince’s scarf is provoking reactions. See and Hear royal house expert Caroline Vagle tells Dagbladet that this is something the prince should steer clear of.
– It is the case that the royals must remain neutral, and in that way show that they are a representative of us all. Prince Christian will one day be King of Denmark, and then he will be king for the supporters both in FC Copenhagen and in Brøndby. Football undoubtedly puts emotions in people’s minds, and as such, perhaps he should steer clear of it.
However, she adds that the 16-year-old must be allowed to join whichever team he wants.
– Our own King Harald, for example, has admitted that he cheers on Tottenham, and several royals with him have opened up about their favorite teams. But the ceiling height is perhaps greater when it is a foreign layer? King Olav was obviously a supporter of Lyn in his time.
Also in the football nation England, the royals have shown their interest in the sport.
– Prince William is by the way a well-known and avid Aston Villa supporter. This can be combined with the fact that he is president of the British Football Association, so in football-saved England, perhaps there is a greater popular understanding for everyone to have their favorite team – even the royals ?, ask Vagle.
In retrospect, however, Brøndby has also joined the debate.
– In Brøndby IF we see no problems, but we are also pleased that HRH Prince Christian follows Danish football and prioritizes going and watching the biggest club match in Danish football. The only annoyance is that FC Copenhagen unfortunately won yesterday, writes CEO Ole Palmå in a comment to Ritzau, according to BT.
We care about your privacy
the newspaper is part of Aller Media, which is responsible for your data. We use the data to improve and customize our services, offers and ads.
To learn more about changing your settings, go to