– The goal is to allow the largest number of Hungarian soldiers to return to the training grounds, but also to fulfill their other obligations – he stated in an interview with Mandiner Ruthenian-Szendi Romulus. The commander of the Hungarian Armed Forces said about the domestic force development program: the available forces must be ready for deployment in the shortest possible time, that is, the time necessary to achieve this must be shortened.
– At the same time, adapting to the current situation – of course also processing the experiences of the war taking place next door – we are rethinking the combat procedures for the most effective training. We also need to speed up the procurement of technical equipment, just a few days ago the government provided additional financial resources to standardize the individual equipment of the soldiers
The lieutenant general reported that the national defense fund was created by the government in order to stop the development of the armed forces despite inflation and global economic difficulties, so it is basically the latter.
– This year and next year, we will spend about HUF 65 billion from the fund on developments, including the aforementioned individual equipment
Romulusz Ruszin-Szendi emphasized that in the current situation, when there is a war in the neighborhood and the situation on the southern border is becoming more and more serious, everyone already understands why we need effective forces and why we have to spend on our own security.
– For us, preserving the security of Hungary is the most important thing, but this requires the development of our defense capabilities
He also indicated that one of the basic pillars of the National Defense and Force Development Program is that the military profession is synonymous with reliable income and a predictable life path. Because of this, the soldiers received salary increases year after year, the six-month salary, also known as weapon money, came in a lump sum, and there will be a salary increase again in September, and we already know that this trend will continue in 2024.
The lieutenant general emphasized that the total number of reservists is currently over eleven thousand, and those who are serious about it and sometimes take time out from their jobs receive special training, like contract soldiers, and we also assign them important tasks.
– As long as the Ministry of the Interior does not see that it can keep the situation under control with the newly established border hunting squadrons. We will support our police colleagues as long as we are needed, there is no departure date set for the Hungarian Defense Forces – said Ruszin-Szendi in detail about the work of the Defense Forces on the southern border.
The commander of the national defense sees that the policy of deterrence has really forged the NATO alliance, which is now at its full strength.
– Everyone, including Russia, is aware that if the war were to escalate, NATO as a whole would react immediately and extremely forcefully in order to find a solution. There are no divisions, no misunderstandings: there is complete unity, he indicated.
Cover photo: Romulusz Ruszin-Szendi (Photo: Miklós Tekős)