Stade Toulousain will move to Cardiff Rugby on Saturday for their opening match in Pool B of the Champions Cup, with the aim of defending their title and winning a sixth European star.
Cardiff won in the last confrontation of the two teams in European competition, with success at (17-15) and then at home (18-13) during the group stage of the EPCR Challenge Cup 2017 / 2018.
The match played at Arms Park will start at 2:00 p.m. (French time) and will be available on beIN SPORTS.
Key points :
- Cardiff and Stade Toulousain met for the first time in the 1995/1996 Champions Cup final, won once by the French team in extra time. Since that match, they have met 7 times in the competition, with 3 victories for Cardiff for 4 Toulouse.
- The last time Cardiff and Stade Toulousain faced each other in European competition dates back to the group stage of the 2017/2018 Challenge Cup, with stretched victories for the Welsh club (17-15 away and 18-13 at home).
- Stade Toulousain won the last Champions Cup, bringing their total number of victories to 5, more than any other team. Cardiff is the only Welsh team to have reached the final in the competition (defeat against Stade Toulousain in 1995/1996).
- Stade Toulousain star Antoine Dupont was the co-best scorer in the Champions Cup last season, with 4 tries registered (also Kotaro Matsushima, Santiago Cordero, Xavier Mignot) and also beat the most defenders (24) .
- Stade Toulousain have won each of their 27 scrums in the 2020/2021 Champions Cup, more than any other team with 100% success.
Ugo Mola (Stade Toulousain): “Wales and this club have always forged special relationships with Stade Toulousain. Historically, we have really strong links with this club, so yes, it makes us happy to go back there, but what will please us is obviously to emerge victorious from this double confrontation ”.
Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby): “ We have no pressure. I’m sure everyone expects Toulouse to beat us. But within our group, we are confident. We know we can give them problems ”.
- Find HERE the calendar for the 2021/2022 Champions Cup season!