Since it is necessary to find alternatives to pesticides, here is a very natural and ecological one: in Caen, the city distributes free ladybugs to the inhabitants. Spotlight on an original and innovative initiative.
Ladybugs destroy and repel insects that harm fruits, flowers and vegetables. At a certain stage of development, specific The world, they are capable of swallowing between 60 and 100 aphids per day. Suffice to say that they represent a strong ally for the organic gardener, whether amateur or professional.
For this reason (and because it is better to encourage natural methods rather than chemical products), the city of Caen has decided, as the site points out Actu.frorganizer of the distributions of “egg laying beneficial insects.”
“These distributions are free and open to all gardeners who already have aphids on their plants in order to feed the larvae as they hatch from the eggs.”
If you are interested in the 2022 operation, know that the last distribution will take place on Friday July 8 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Jardin des Plantes in Caen.
Some tips :
- Choose a plant with a good colony of aphids (make sure ants are absent)
- Take a strip without touching the eggs and place it under a leaf, as close as possible to the aphids
- Secure the tab with a paperclip, a clothespin, a staple, etc.
- The eggs turn black when the larvae are ready to emerge
- When these auxiliaries have gone hunting, the eggs are then white, the tab can be removed.
To enjoy nature, man must not fight nature. He must cooperate with her. The Caen initiative is a good example.