Peter Jan defeated Corey Sandhagen to become interim UFC champion, Jan’s words after the fight, video, result – October 31, 2021
Peter Jan defeated Corey Sandhagen to become UFC champion again. However, so far it is temporary. After the fight, which took place the day before in Abu Dhabi, Ian came to a press conference and a perky interview – about the most dangerous moments of the fight with Sandhagen, future rival, retirement and much more.
“I’m a little devastated, but glad about the work done,” Jan began.
– You successfully fought with Sandhagen in a stance, but you were afraid that you would be better than him in the fight. Do you think you managed to keep your promise?
– I think this belt speaks for itself. I would not like to slander something superfluous now. But I have the belt, and in general it is clear who won here today.
– You also said before the fight that Sandhagen makes a lot of unnecessary movements. You still think so and in general – how do you rate Corey?
– He was not bad! Good guy, good fighter. You probably noticed that before the fight we had no insults, we felt mutual respect. I respect him as an athlete and as a person, but this is a show.
– Has he shocked you at least once in battle?
– To shake – it was not, but there are bumps on the head.
– How pleasant it is that your son watched your victory today?
– I haven’t seen my family for two months, they arrived today. I missed you very much. Of course, it was exciting that in general so many people came to support me. And the family for me is additional energy and motivation. Of course I’m glad.
– Who, in your opinion, is your main competitor in the division now?
– There are a lot of worthy guys, rivals. I told you I never choose. I was presented to fight, I said: “Anyone, send a contract, and let’s go.”
– What will you do if Sterling again delayed revenge?
– This question is more for the leadership. I beat him once. He’s running now. Dillashaw chatters about the legitimacy of my title, and he himself is a cheater caught. I would like to beat him.
– You will end your career at 30, but your manager assured you that you will finish performing longer. How are things really going?
– Let’s see, I’m only 28 so far. In principle, I’m still very young. The manager says: “You say this on emotions, and you yourself will fight for five years.” Let’s see, probably someday you will feel that you lack the competition of competition. While we will work and see what happens next.
– Have you already thought what you will do after leaving the sport?
– I think I will be useful in my direction. Yes, a lot of things you can do. Whoever wants will find himself in any area.
– Do you see yourself in politics?
– I don’t see myself in politics yet.
– How hard was it to transfer the five-round distance?
– This is my distance. I understood that my opponent, if I didn’t get into the first half, would move at the expense of his footwork. His job is to keep me at a distance. It was more difficult for me, because I had to constantly press, cut corners and look for my attack. And don’t miss the counterattack. There was an understanding that somewhere after the second round I would start to change the course of the fight. And so it happened.
– In the second round, Sandhagen started hitting with his hands in the liver area. Did you feel these blows?
– Yes, he hit me in the liver, but it was light hits. I boxed for a long time, and they beat me in the liver many times, I know what it is. So this time I thought: “Wait, be careful. The elbows are lower. ” Aldo hit the liver harder.
– After the fight with Sterling, you said that prompts were shouted from the corner in different languages, and in general there was some confusion in the work of the seconds. How was it this time?
– I am very pleased and glad that I took such guys into this training. These are simple guys, with her energy and soul for me it is simple. We got together, went to train – all disciplined. Everything was clear in the corner. I understood what to do, who was talking. During the rest, someone spoke, no confusion. You probably noticed: when Kairat Nurmagomedov gave some hints, he reproduced it with a difference of two or three seconds.
– It’s become more difficult to talk to you than in 2015, and a little more expensive cars appeared on your instagram. Are you sure that star fever has not started?
– No, no, no, star fever did not start at all. It’s just that one person said to me: “You should not be enough everywhere.”
– Who said that?
– Well, one person said … And now I am missing everywhere. I don’t even have enough for myself and my family. Because more training and different new commitments. And so, I am happy to communicate when there is time.
– What was the most unpleasant moment during the 25-minute fight?
– The moments were dangerous, what can I say. When the fighters are at such a high level, combat intelligence wins. We got to know each other well.
– There were two moments in the fight when you tried to catch Sandhagen for receptions – on the guillotine and the knee lever. Did you really feel like you could finish him off like that?
– When I took the guillotine, I strangled it a little at first. But then I realized that this was not the right moment, and there was no need to acidify your hands. I don’t chase the submission, I’m gradually dismantling the opponent.
– Usually fighters change coaches and camps when something goes wrong in their careers. You decided to change your team when everything was fine. Why?
– I changed it – and still it worked out? Basically, nothing has changed much. I wrote to them: “I need help, I need you by my side.” They came, and I was very pleased. It was mutual, because it was a great experience – being there next to me, being present at the UFC tournament. I am pleased that their work paid off and that they liked it here.
“After the press conference, you scared Sandhagen a little. This is also because then the family was already looking at you?
“It’s not who’s watching. Corey is just really serious and I was joking. I had no aggression. This is a conference, and you understand that tomorrow you will beat each other. This is such a self-tuning, or something. Well, Corey seems to be fine. He probably didn’t understand what happened.
– How dependent are you on this sport, financially, and do you have the opportunity to end your career now?
– I’m addicted to everything. Sport is my way of life. I have two sons. As an illustrative example, I will probably train until retirement, because I have boys.
– In the lightest division there is such a fighter as Merab Dvalishvili – a man from Sterling’s team …
“Sterling’s team doesn’t interest me at all.
– It’s just that Merab is considered a dangerous opponent in terms of wrestling. Do not you think so?
– I don’t think so at all. They have the whole team … I don’t even want a dialogue with them.
– At the beginning it seemed that you were a little squeezed. Is this a misleading impression?
– I understood that the battle could last five rounds, and it was impossible to force it prematurely. It was necessary to act in stages and carefully. The ultimate goal is right here.
– When you realized that there was a fracture, and you can already go on the attack, break …
– Easy, easy. Emotion … I have always gone forward, there was a task to always go forward. I didn’t even hit somewhere, I took it on myself. Because the opponent is thus exhausted.
– You said before this fight that you would try to finish Sandhagen before the fifth round. Something went wrong?
– Well, are you happy with the fight? And so they would say – “We finished early.” And then five rounds, and you got a little high!