Espen Andersen Bråthen charged with the murders in Kongsberg – NRK Norway – Overview of news from different parts of the country
Five people were killed Wednesday night. Bråthen has acknowledged the actual circumstances, the police stated on Thursday.
He will be produced for imprisonment in Buskerud District Court in Kongsberg on Friday at 09.00. The police state that it will probably happen in an office business, which means that the accused is not present in court.
Police attorney Ann Irén Svane Mathiassen confirms to NRK that the 37-year-old will be assessed by forensic psychiatric experts. A preliminary assessment must be carried out.
According to the police attorney, this work starts today.
– This is not unusual in such serious cases, says Mathiassen to NRK.
Has previously threatened to kill
Bråthen was last year sentenced to a six-month restraining order against two close family members after he threatened to kill one of them.
According to the verdict, the police believed, from what was then called Kongsberg and Eiker District Court, that there was a risk that he would start and criminal treatment against the people he was banned from visiting.
According to the verdict, the 37-year-old left a Colt revolver on the family members’ sofa, which they are said to have experienced as threatening.
Bråthen was also convicted of burglary and purchase of small quantities of hashish in 2012. The verdict states that he has been convicted of similar offenses before.
The police chief in the South-East police district confirms that the police have been in contact with the 37-year-old man before. There have been concerns that the man has been radicalized.
– The police have previously been in contact with the man, including as a result of having previously been concerned about him with a view to radicalization. We have not registered messages on him in 2021, but earlier. They have been full, says police chief Ole Bredrup Sæverud.
– Converted to Islam
According to the police, Bråthen must have converted to Islam.
Police are still working to clarify whether the attack is a terrorist attack or not.
PST has ranked it as possible that extreme Islamists will try to carry out terror in Norway in 2021.
The security service points out that there is the greatest risk of simple attacks with, among other things, stabbing and stabbing weapons.
A person who knows the accused tells NRK that the accused’s conversion to Islam has little to do with cases.
– This is about a person who is seriously mentally ill and who does not fall outside adolescence. This has affected the lives of those close to him to a large extent, people say.
The acquaintance says it must be discussed whether the threshold is too high to intervene and use force against people who can obviously be a danger to themselves and others and who need help, if they do not want it themselves.
The man who has now been arrested is a Danish citizen, but lives in Kongsberg, the police stated last night.
– The police confirm this information because it is a version of many rumors on social media that can make perpetrators who can not be linked to the serious handling, it can be a press release.
Five people were killed and two people injured when the man shot with a bow and arrow at Kongsberg on Wednesday. Police are investigating whether terror may be the motive for the attack. The dead are aged 50 to 70.
The police spotted Bråthen for the first time at 18.18. He was called, but the police lost sight of him.
As after, the police were in contact with Bråthen again, and they were then shot by several arrows. This caused them to lose contact with the man, and he got away.
Do you know anything about the case? Tip us!
Thank you for reading down here. Do you know anything about the case? Please contact.
In the minutes after this, several patrols searched for the man, and there were some messages from the audience about observations.
At 18.47, it was reported on the connection that the perpetrator had been arrested. It was further stated that warning shots were fired in connection with the arrest.