The city of Munich stumbles when it comes to major projects – construction sites for eternity
In Munich, some major projects are hardly progressing. Building prices are exploding. In some mammoth projects, politicians in Berlin or in the state chancellery are asleep.
Munich – In Munich more and more construction sites are becoming traffic jams. the Anger about the Gasteig has revealed itself againthat the city is stumbling on major projects. The wholesale market hall has been waiting for renovation for over six years, and tram projects are also being delayed. And when the lions will kick in the new stadium is written in the stars.
Construction site traffic jams in Munich: What’s the problem?
The city is not always to blame. Inflation, war, energy costs, building prices that are skyrocketing do the rest. And in some sub-areas, it is not the administration in Munich that sleeps, but politics in Berlin or in the State Chancellery. Here we give an overview of the most important construction sites for eternity:
Munich: The construction sites for eternity – an overview
• Justice Center: It will be significantly more expensive new justice center at Leonrodplatz. Despite the progressing work on the interior, further delays can no longer be intercepted, as a spokesman said on request. It was originally supposed to open this year. Now the construction is to be delayed by nine to twelve months. How much more that costs is currently being checked. The budget committee has approved 340.51 million euros, in 2015 at the start of construction 200 million euros had been estimated for the largest high-rise construction site in the Free State.
• stages: The Allianz Arena is still in pretty good shape, the situation is different for the other big stadiums. For example, the renovation of the Olympic Stadium should have started in 2023, but was then postponed to 2024. And the original cost of 107 million euros could have turned into 155 million by the time it is completed. After all, there are at least concrete figures for the project. to die The future of the stadium on Grünwalder Straße, on the other hand, is completely open – will the existing building be renovated or will there be a new building for the TSV 1860 at a different location?
• trams: There is also a traffic jam on the tram. to die West Tangente (Romanplatz to Aidenbachstraße) was decided in 2018. Now this year the construction of the section between Romanplatz and Waldfriedhof should start. The entire road will not be finished before 2027, and the original almost 90 million euros have become 145. The north tangent is also stretching, at least there is already a planning approval for the Johanneskirchen section.
• concert hall: Big notes have become small ones: The construction of the concert hall in the Werksviertel is not progressing. The work should have started in 2018, but the Free State had no more money left, so the groundbreaking was postponed to 2020. But nothing came of it either. JNow there is talk of 2025, the construction period should be at least five years calculate. So far, however, there has been no clear commitment from the state government. And there are considerations that the city and state build together: Gasteig and a new concert hall in one.
• Subway: There is still no light at the end of the subway tunnel: Whether the U9 will originally be built is an open question. One is missing Federal funding commitment, Munich WILL NOT be able to bear the costs of four billion euros for the route alone. In 2017 it was 2.5 billion. At least the city council has already promised to build a train station under the main station for around 500 million euros. The first considerations for the project came up in 2010.
• wholesale market hall: The Grossmarkthalle is a problem child. The city once wanted to renovate it, but the CSU and SPD overturned the decision in 2017 and looked for an investor. The dealers (UGM) wanted to build themselves, in 2019 they arranged the contract. At the end of 2021, the Büschl group of investors will take over UGM. to die City had to re-advertise, Büschl was awarded the contract. When is the start of construction, whether it is planned again: everything is unclear. Commissioning is not expected before 2030.
• Second trunk line: A lot of money is being sunk here: Construction of the 2nd trunk line began in 2017. Costs: 3.8 billion. Commissioning was planned for 2028. But the train has left. According to a new time and cost plan announced by Deutsche Bahn at the end of September 2022 Action now cost 7.0 billion (Including a risk buffer of 1.5 billion euros), commissioning is planned for 2035.
• Gasteig: The GAU at the Gasteig continues – after all that (faulty competition, problems with copyright, cost increases, political trouble) the search for an investor has now also come to an end. Only one applicant was found in the advertisement, but he did not meet the criteria. the The city council had capped the costs at 450 million euros – now to be re-advertised. Or the city builds itself.