– Must talk to Ståle
DOHA (VG) Since the last time Norway participated in a championship, Denmark has been in three European Championships and four World Championships, but in this year’s Danish edition it is possibly one piece that is missing.
1 of 3Photo: NATALIA KOLESNIKOVA / AFP
– I spoke to Ståle and said that if Erling (Braut Haaland) not going to the WC, then we would like to borrow him, answers a last-ditch Kasper Hjulmand to VG’s question.
Because when the low afternoon sun disappeared behind the horizon, the Danish national team coach could look beyond the training field and see that he has quality players in most positions.
Admittedly, there are several Danish players who come to the championship without optimal playing time, but several of the most important pieces in the line – both keeper, in defense and in midfield – are still intact.
– He is probably unsure of what the attacking trio should look like. It’s probably the pieces on the tactical board he moves on at the very end, says Rasmud Glud i Extra Magazine to VG – and confirms the opinion that the attack is considered the weakest link in Denmark.
The journalist is also used to what role Christian Eriksen will be assigned in the injury absence of Thomas Delaney, who could mean a deeper role for Denmark’s most important player.
– Eriksen is the heart and rhythm of our team, asserts Hjulmand.
1 of 3Photo: Christophe Ena / AP
On the training field, the Danish star “hecticized” the ball a bit next to the right-handed striker Andreas Cornelius, who had a good dive against Tunisia, but who abused an absolutely huge opportunity to score the match-winning goal.
Now the question is how Kasper Hjulmand will get the most out of his attacking pieces. In an interview with the former and current head of Denmark NRK-expert Åge Hareide, Hjulmand revealed that Ståle Solbakken called and said that “if Denmark had Haaland, you would have won the World Cup”.
– Do you agree with that statement, do you lack a world-class striker and what do you do to make the best use of the ones you have? was VG’s question.
After first joking that “they might as well borrow Haaland”, Hjulmand begins with a line of reasoning:
– I think we have… he says, before he interrupts himself and instead pays tribute to Haaland’s development, hard work and mental strength.
– He is a top, top player for whom I have great respect, so I have to talk to Ståle later, says Hjulmand.
In the same way that he did not want to answer which French player he would choose if he had to choose one, he apparently also did not want to compare his own players with Erling Braut Haaland.
While Haaland alone has scored 18 goals in the Premier League, Jesper Lindstrøm, Andreas Skov Olsen, Martin Braithwaite, Yussuf Poulsen, Andreas Cornelius, Jonas Wind and Kasper Dolberg have together scored 16 goals in their respective leagues.
However, he confirmed that Jonas Wind is fresh and ready for Saturday’s match against France, which could quickly become a “match of fate” after Denmark’s 0-0 result against Tunisia.
This is the third time Denmark and France meet this year. The Danes have won both of the previous two. When the teams met at the Stade de France, it was Andreas Cornelius who turned the game around by scoring after being substituted.
1 of 2Photo: NATALIA KOLESNIKOVA / AFP
A Danish journalist asks to what extent it affected the team selection that Andreas Cornelius delivered as he did in the match in June.
– I evaluate all our players. After all, our attacking players are very different, so who is best suited to which minutes of the matches. Who will start? Who will finish? How do they fit in with the others? Hjulmand explains.
– Of course we think of Andreas, as we think of the others, he adds.
The match between France and Denmark kicks off on Saturday at 17.00 and will be shown on NRK.