The day the arrondissements of Lyon were created
In the 19the century, the uprisings of the canuts shook the capital of Gaul. To put down these Croix-Roussian revolts, Louis Napoleon Bonaparte wanted to strengthen the powers of the police and his prefect in Lyon. From 1851, several laws and decrees were taken in this direction: the Lyon urban area was created in June of that same year. The rebel Croix-Rousse finds itself annexed and attached to Lyon, following the decree of March 24, 1852.
Just like the communes of La Guillotière – of which the Monplaisir district was still a part – and Vaise. These three municipalities constituting the 3e (Guillotiere), 4e (the Croix-Rousse plateau) and 5e (Vaise) arrondissements of Lyon, the first two are already within the administrative limits of the time. Full powers are then granted to the prefect, who reigns alone over this extended city until 1870.
Rue 24-Mars-1852 pays tribute to the day the new neighborhoods were created
The creation of the Lyon arrondissements is therefore more of a coup by the executive to regain control of Lyon, than an innocent administrative reorganization. Major work ensued which remodeled the city. In addition to the paving of streets, the development of river ports or railways, major roads are emerging from the ground, such as the rue de la République, the Cours Gambetta, or the Boulevard de la Croix-Rousse. According to the census following this new organization, Lyon had 318,000 inhabitants in 1861.
Read also on Tribune de Lyon: The day the hill of Fourvière collapsed
The 6esevene and 8e the arrondissements we know today come from the divisions of the 3e district, of the time which spread over the entire left bank. The 5e arrondissement was cut in two in 1964 to give birth to the last arrondissement: 9e. It is also in this district, along the Vaise station, that a street named 24-Mars-1852 pays homage to the day of the creation of these new districts.