Mthe oten is circular by nature, and what has been is therefore welcome to come again. And again. And again. It’s a bit like that with flowers which, for obvious reasons, appear in the fashion scene at more or less regular intervals. Like now.
Because now, especially, the rose is so to speak everywhere.
And that both on and off the catwalk.
You may have already noticed it: on coats and jackets, bags and so on, or tied around the neck in a lace like a kind of 90s scarf. The latter is the trend that has seriously found its way into both new collections and street fashion in general.
And if we are to believe the designers, the praise is here to stay – at least until next season. Because the season’s catwalk – which basically shows the fashion for next summer – was showered with roses.
But why is the symbolic flower appearing everywhere right now?
– I think the flower gives many people the feminine touch they want in an outfit, says MinMote journalist Elise Alexandra Årnes Gulbrandsen to KK.
– Flowers and floral patterns will never go out of style, but now it is the rose that really takes center stage, adds the fashion journalist.
She believes that both the 2000s wave and the desire for a softer world means that the flower is blooming too fully in the fashion picture right now.
– I think that many people need something that can symbolize love and joy.
Gulbrandsen believes the trend is easy to take off the catwalk because it can be solved in so many ways and used in so many styles.
– Either you want to go all in, or settle for a small detail, she adds.
As you know, they have their own language, the roses. Far more than just “roses are red”. Because while red roses mean love, orange roses show enthusiasm and passion, yellow roses happiness and joy and white roses respect and humility. A quantity of roses must also have something to say, at least in the language of roses. While 1 red rose means: «I desire you», 12 red roses are the same as «eternal love». A red rose plus two buds, on the other hand, is more intricate, and means: «This must be kept secret».
According to Vilde Hettervik Frøland, who owns and runs the flower workshop Eitrah, roses are precisely a very symbolic flower.
– Roses are the very symbol of love, and are often the flower you give to your loved ones. But roses can also be used in a difficult time, e.g. in grief, where you want to show your love.
However, she believes that the “rose language” is not as important now as it was.
– Both the number and the colors are important, but it is not so concerned with today when we buy for ourselves or someone we are happy with.
But roses will never fade, literally, of that she is sure.
– Roses are a pure, simple and incredibly decorative flower that always fits in. I think that’s why this one is timeless and has become more popular over time with a classic expression and its meaning.