Toulouse: three apartments destroyed by fire in an HLM, a woman seriously injured, hundreds of people evacuated
A building plagued by flames, Reynerie district in Toulouse, was largely evacuated this Sunday, August 14. We deplore four injured including a woman transported in vital emergency to Rangueil hospital.
The sector has been completely cordoned off since midnight this Saturday, August 13. No vehicle, apart from those of the national police and the Toulouse emergency services, can circulate near block 19, a HLM de la Reynerie, located at 21 Louis-Auriacombe path. The inhabitants of the district observe with concern the comings and goings of the firefighters inside the damaged building.
About forty firefighters from Toulouse, Carbonne and Montgiscard finish cooling this huge block of concrete and carry out reconnaissance on the floors. They will have to pass the entire building to the thermal camera to ensure that there is no longer any risk of resumption of fire.
Nine people evacuated
The incident occurred on the third floor. Three apartments were destroyed by the flames. An elderly woman was seriously burned and intoxicated by the fumes. Supported by the Samu, she was transported in a vital emergency to the Rangueil hospital. Her son explained that she “was mainly hit in the arms.”
Three victims in a more stable state of health were directly treated on the spot. The firefighters were evacuated, thanks to aerial ladders, nine people who were prisoners of the flames, including these four wounded. They had taken refuge on the balconies while waiting for help.
“Before our arrival, shortly before 23, there were 300 people who left the building. We are dealing with a very reactive population, we are not in an nursing home, the exit from the block was done quickly . It happened calmly,” says Commander Gilles Raymond. With his teams, the SDIS 31 officer then evacuated all the residents who had not left their accommodation on the third to seventh floors.
Souhla lives on the fourth floor. Neighbors helped him get to safety. “They came to get me. There was a fire at the neighbour’s. We tried to open the door leading to the stairs but it was not possible, it was hot, so we went through the corridors. My parents couldn’t go down with me. The firefighters got them out of our apartment with the ladders,” says the young woman, still scared by what had just happened.
Most of the residents of block 19 still hoped to return to their homes during the night. “We have drugs and important documents in our apartment, which is a fourth step away from where it started. I hope the firefighters and the police will let us go back upstairs to at least take our things,” he said. asked a tenant.
Some could not return home given the state of the apartments closest to the accommodation where the fire started. They had to be relocated as soon as possible.