These beaches less than two hours from Lyon
By Anthony Sudani
The week from Monday 8 to Sunday 14 August promises to be still very hot in Lyon, even scorching according to the latest weather news.
Fortunately, there are several lakes and bodies of water within two hours of the city where it is possible to cool off. No need to go to the sea to take a dip and enjoy very pleasant beaches.
Here are the best places to go during this particularly sweltering month of August in the city.
The beaches of Miribel-Jonage (20 min from the center of Lyon)
Some will say that it may not be the most beautiful place in the region, but it has the merit of being close to Lyon. The lake of the Grand parc Miribel-Jonage offers several beaches on likely to settle. In total there are four sandy beaches.
It is also possible to enjoy water activities such as rowing, kayaking and windsurfing.
The beaches of Port Galland (40 mins)
Port Galland (Ain) is really a nice spot to spend the afternoon, or even the whole day, planning a picnic. The site has several pebble beaches and is renowned for its naturist places, away from prying eyes.
The beaches of Lake Nantua (1h)
Still in Ain, head for Haut Bugey and Lake Nantua. It takes an hour’s drive but once there, swimmers are spoiled for choice. Pontoons, lawn, sand… there is something for everyone.
There are two beaches. The Albert-Griot beach which is accessible from the parking lot of the esplanade and where it is possible to eat and drink at the snack bar. To access the other beach, that of La Colonne, it is advisable to park on Route du Port.
The Blue Valley beach (1h)
Direction Isère this time, one hour from Lyon. The Blue Valley is a leisure center located on the banks of the Rhône. Free and open access, everyone can go there.
The place is often very lively because many activities are offered on land but also on water such as jetskiing for example.
The beaches of Lac de Paladru (1h)
Between Nantua and Paladru, everyone will have their own opinion but it is certainly the most beautiful lake located less than an hour from Lyon. There are beaches all around and the crystal clear waters are 25 degrees in high summer.
Swimming is supervised and when it is no longer, it is prohibited. Tables are available for picnics with a nice view.
The beaches of Lake Aiguebelette (1h10)
Aiguebelette Lake is one of the most popular in the region. Located in Savoie, it is popular with water sports enthusiasts: paddle, kayak, etc. Its surrounding nature, its view of the mountains just make you want to land on the beach and quietly enjoy your day.
The lake has several beaches spread over five municipalities:
- The Creek in Nances
- Novalaise-Plage, Pré Argent, Bon Vent
- Saint-Alban-Plage, Sougey
- The municipal beach of Lépin-le-Lac
- The municipal beach of Aiguebelette-le-Lac
The beaches of Lake Roybon (1h20)
In Isère, Lake Roybon is open to unsupervised swimming. There are equipped beaches, playgrounds and picnic areas. A brasserie is even open in summer.
However, it is forbidden to bring your dog. Dogs are only allowed on the bank on the D20 side and to access the restaurant.
The beaches of Lake Bourget (1h30)
More distant but so beautiful… The beaches around Lac du Bourget (Savoie) offer incomparable views. Only Lake Annecy in the region can boast of having better panoramas.
There are countless beaches. The closest to Lyon are Aix beach, Lido beach, Rowing beach or Mottets beach, but others have made the detour possible. The voices :
- Bourget du Lac beach
- The beach at the Île aux Cignes campsite
- Memard beach
- Brison Saint Innocent beach
Even further, two other beaches are to be discovered: those of Conjux and Châtillon.
The beaches of Lake Annecy (1h50)
The best beaches for the end but also the most distant. There are 11 beaches in total (5 of which are municipal). Here is a brief description of each of them:
- Douss’plage: free supervised sand beach in summer from July 1 to August 31. Two paying car parks.
- Angon beach: it offers a magnificent view of the lake. Composed of grass and sand, it is taken by tourists in the summer.
- Glière plage: certainly the quietest corner of Lake Annecy, located in the heart of nature.
- La Brune beach offers a sunny grassy beach. In July-August, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., swimming is supervised. There is even a paddling pool for children.
- The Albigny grass beach is one of the most famous on Lake Annecy. Swimming is supervised in July-August between 11 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- The Marquisats beach is made of grass and a strip of sand to go and dip your feet in the water. This one is particularly taken by the inhabitants of Annecy and the surrounding area.
- The municipal beach of Duingt is located opposite the Bay of Talloires, with a very shaded grassy beach. It offers a nice panorama.
- The municipal grass and sand beach of Sevrier has recently been refurbished. The view is beautiful with the Dents de Lanfon and the Tournette opposite.
- The municipal beach of Menthon-Saint-Bernard is ideal for people sensitive to the sun, being one of the most shaded beaches.
- The municipal beach of Talloires is the largest in the town. The azure waters of this corner of Lake Annecy will seduce you for sure.
- The municipal beach of Saint-Jorioz offers a large expanse of grass and sand. This is a paying beach.
Was this article helpful to you? Note that you can follow Actu Lyon in the My Actu space. In one click, after registration, you will find all the news of your favorite cities and brands.