Updated on 07/01/2022 23:03
- Violent unrest in eastern Libya.
- Demonstrators have stormed the parliament in Tobruk.
- This call for its dissolution and new elections.
Angry demonstrators have attacked the Libyan parliament in the east of the North African country. Pictures from the Libyan television channel on Friday evening showed them lighting fires and throwing stones at the building in the city of Tobruk. A shot on social media showed a bulldozer ramming into a gate of Parliament. The Libyan news site Al-Wasat reported that the demonstrators were demanding the dissolution of parliament and new elections. At the same time, however, it was said that the protests were also directed against the poor living conditions in the country.
Violent demonstrations on Friday
Demonstrations had previously also taken place in other cities on Friday, as reported by Al-Wasat. For example, in the western capital of Tripoli, several hundred people gathered in a central square to protest against the militias and leading politicians. They also demand better electricity supply and lower bread prices. One demonstrator said people had lost faith in leaders.
Also read: These conflicts come to a head in the shadow of the war in Ukraine
Libya has been in a civil war since 2011, which broke out after the fall of long-time ruler Muammar Gaddafi. Two governments are currently fighting for power. In the capital, the leadership is based around Prime Minister Abdul Hamid Dbaiba. At the same time, the government of ex-Interior Minister Fathi Baschaga claims power for itself. This is connected to the parliament in the east.
Negotiations in Geneva failed
Talks between leading representatives of the warring factions in Geneva ended without a final agreement this week. It is about the constitutional framework for new elections. Both sides have reached consensus on many issues, UN Special Adviser Stephanie Williams said. Despite the progress, there is still disagreement over who will run as a candidate in the first presidential election. Observers fear new fights should the negotiations finally fail. (jr/dpa)
More than four months into Russia’s war of aggression, Putin claimed the hostilities were proceeding according to plan. “The work is quiet, rhythmic, the troops are moving and reaching the lines that have been set for them as milestones,” he told reporters in the Turkmen capital of Ashgabat. In the “special operation,” as the Russian government officially calls the war of aggression, “everything is going according to plan.” Image: Grigory Sysoev / Sputnik Ashkhabad Turkmenistan