SVT has announced that the submission window for the Melodifestivalen 2023 opens on 26 August.
The submission window for the Melodifestivalen 2023 opens on 26 August and closes on 16 September. Anyone who wants to submit a contribution must do so under the submission window on the official Meldoifestivalen website. The winning entry will represent Sweden at the Eurovision Song Contest 2023.
Some selection rules include:
- Swedish citizens and residents (from 26 August 2022) may participate in the competition as lyricists and / or composers, with the exception of everyone who is employed or a contractor for SVT.
- Foreign citizens / residents can also participate, provided that at least one composer / lyricist for the grant is a Swedish citizen / resident.
- Of the 28 selected contributions, 10 will be Swedish-language songs. A song can be entered several times if it has lyrics in different languages.
- At least 50% of the selected contributions will include women as composers / lyricists.
- The songs must be between 2 and 3 minutes long and must follow Eurovision rules.
- The names of the selected contributions and composers will be revealed in November-December 2022.
- Up to 8 people can stand on the stage for a performance. If the song is selected for Eurovision, only 6 people can be on stage.
A complete list of rules can be found here (in Swedish).
Cornelia Jakobs represented Sweden at the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 in Turin, Italy. She placed fourth in the final with “Hold Me Closer”, making it the best result for the nation since they won the competition in 2015.
Image source: EBU / Nathan Reinds | Source: SVT
Sweden in the Eurovision Song Contest
Sweden debuted in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1958 and has continued to be one of the competition’s most successful countries. The country has won the competition six times, the most recent was 2015. Sweden’s first victory came in 1974 when ABBA won the competition in Brighton with “Waterloo”. Since missing in the final in 2010, Sweden has finished third twice and won the competition twice, only in 2013 did the country end up outside the top 10 in the final.