Chris, Melanie and Zack are considering applications from Finland and Sweden to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization. Is a larger NATO necessarily a more effective alliance? And what are the practical consequences of defending these two countries from a seemingly revanchist Russia? What does this mean for the future of European strategic autonomy? And does this signal a strengthening of the old Cold War lines west versus east, or, in this case, all of Europe against Russia? Atta people go out to fact checkers, the Australian Labor Party and Representative Mike Gallagher for fighting military acronyms. Arrests and complaints about lack of infant formula, Biden administration’s stinginess towards Asian allies and (lobbyist) Gil Garcetti.
- Anne-Marie Slaughter, “An enlargement of NATO will deepen the east-west rift” Economic times5 May 2022.
- Stephen Walt, “Finland and Sweden join NATO to balance themselves against a rising Russian threat” Foreign policy18 May 2022.
- Mark Cancian, “Future NATO enlargement: Requirements for strengths and budgetary costs. “ Center for Strategic and International Studies, September 8, 2021.
- Scott Horsley, “How the United States ended up in this infant formula“, May 19, 2022.
- Becky Sullivan, “Abbott’s CEO apologizes for the lack of formula when the first overseas broadcast arrives” NPR22 May 2022.
- “NOT REAL NEWS: A look at what did not happen this week” Impartial Press21 May 2022.
- “Oil, the state and the war: Global energy security after the Russian invasion of UkraineAtlantic Council, June 1, 2022.
- Eric S. Edelman, “Finland and Sweden deserve to join NATO now” Bålverket13 May 2022.
- Demetri Sevastopolu and Kathrin Hille, “The United States is investing $ 150 million in Southeast Asia in an effort to counter China“Financial Times, 12 May 2022.
- “Anthony Albanese holds victory after winning against the coalition” ABC News21 May 2022.
- Mike Gallagher, Tweet19 May 2022.
- Hailey Fuchs, “Eric Garcetti’s parents sign up to lobby for their son’s ambassadorial message” Politico20 May 2022.
- Diana Ohlbaum, “Time for a strategic break in NATO’s expansion” The litter21 May 2022.
- Jordan Michael Smith, “Why is Putin so strangely chilled that Sweden and Finland are joining NATO?” New Republic18 May 2022.
- Rasmus Hindren, “What Finland will bring to NATO – And how it can change the alliance” Breaking Defense19 May 2022.