An attack on Heydrich right in front of his eyes: The 80th anniversary of the Anthropoid is about to be celebrated
Celebrations in Liben and in the National Museum
An extensive program is prepared on Friday at the site of the attack in Liben, which has changed dramatically since then. One of its most anticipated highlights will be the reconstruction of the event, announced in time after 10:30. It is to be preceded by a flight of the historic Hawker Hurricane fighter, followed by a flight of Mi-24 helicopter formations. Then a reverential act will be created at the local memorial. The plan is also a ride on historic vehicles and a parade of period clothing: both civilian clothing and a parade of military uniforms. In the afternoon, the main program of celebrations in Prague 8 will be transferred to Libeň Castle: to Thomayerovy sady (and will continue here throughout Saturday). Meetings with historians and music productions are planned at Löwit’s Mill, among other things. During the day, a reverential meeting or event takes place in several other places in the metropolis in the venues of thematically focused exhibitions.
Tighter measures against vandals: The region and Prague want to step on sprayers
Another highlight of Prague’s celebrations will be a ceremonial gathering at the National Museum from 6 pm with the participation of the highest political leaders. There will also be an open exhibition We will never give up! prepared as a joint project of local museums and the Military History Institute; will be open to the public from Saturday. It will recall not only the activities of the Anthropoid airdrop and other paratroopers, but also the protectorate reality with an emphasis on 38 days of second martial law between May 27 and July 3, 1942. It will present the fates of specific people paragroup. Including authentic parts of Gabčík and Kubiš’s equipment, items confiscated by the Nazis after a fight with paratroopers in the crypt of the Orthodox Church of St. Cyril and Metoděj Resslova Street, three weeks after the deadly attack on Heydrich or the original Libuše radio, the Silver A paratrooper.
Many politicians and guests of honor will take part in the Prague celebrations, not only from the domestic scene. Among other things, the presence of the President of the Slovak Republic Zuzana Čaputová, the Slovak Minister of Defense Jaroslav Nada or the British Ministry of Foreign Affairs Elizabeth Mary Truss is announced for part of the program.
Kubiš’s day in Panenské Břežany
Saturday’s Jan Kubiš Day at the Memorial of National Oppression and Resistance in Panenské Břežany, operating in the local “upper chateau”, will become the Central Bohemian peak of current celebrations. The memorial, which will offer free admission, has prepared a program that will begin at nine in the morning – and will not end until midnight.
The biggest attractions are the occasional display of the last known letter that Kubiš sent before the events, and a novelty in the form of virtual reality glasses. These represent an attack on Heydrich from all angles. Even through the eyes of paratroopers – or their goals.
Weapons, trophies, all about fish and bees. The Natura Viva trade fair begins in Lysá
The upper chateau will also offer tours of military equipment (including the army camp in the chateau park) or, for example, activities for children prepared by the Czechoslovak Legionnaires’ Community. Jan Kubiš’s lecture by historian Eduard Stehlík is approaching from 3 pm, a concert by the Taxmeni group will be produced from 6 pm and a screening of the film Assassination from 1964 will be announced at 9 pm However, it will also be possible to visit the lower chateau It will be open between nine and eighteen o’clock.
Commemorations of the events of 1942 will continue in the following period. A big reverence event is planned in Lidice on Sunday, June 12. The day before, there will be preceded by music programs – including a nationwide parade of children’s choirs Světlo za Lidice.
Commemorations of the attack on Heydrich in 1942:
– Prague, V Holešovičkách – reconstruction of the attack on Heydrich: May 27 from 10.35; followed by a parade of soldiers and civilians and historic vehicles
– Prague, Kbely, scout clubhouse Martinická – exhibition Operation Anthropoid: 27. – 29. May, always 10.00–15.00
– Třebusice, land of the Duha Kindergarten and alley on the dirt road towards Holous – poster exhibition on the anniversary of the Anthropoid event: 27–29. May
– Prague, Uhříněves, Husovo náměstí – planting of the Lidice pear tree: May 27 from 12.00
– Prague, Thomayerovy sady, Löwitův mlýn and surroundings – Prague 8 event to commemorate Operation Anthropoid: May 27, 14.00–23.00 music program and from 21.00 the film Assassination; May 28 8.00–22.00 historical and music program
– Prague, Uhříněves, museum – museum night on the 80th anniversary of Operation Anthropoid with a presentation of the local involvement at the time: 27 May 16.00–22.00
– Panenské Břežany, Monument of National Oppression and Resistance – Jan Kubiš Day: 28 May 9.00–23.00
– Prague, National Museum – exhibition We will never give up !: open to the public from 28 May
– Prague, Thomayerovy sady, summer cinema – premiere of a new film by Oliver Malina Morgenstern Stories of Patriots: May 28 from 9 p.m.
– Prague, National Gallery – Heydrichiáda: artists and anti-fascist resistance, guided tour: 29 May 15.00–16.00
– Lidice, exhibition hall In memoriam – exhibition Children, school and war; on Protectorate Education (until 31 May)
– Prague, Dolní Chabry, Chaberský dvůr – Operation Anthropoid (until May 28)
– Prague, Museum of Czechoslovak Legions – exhibition 80 years of Operation Anthropoid (until June 30)
– Prague, Karolinum – exhibition New World Order (until July 12)
– Prague, Vítězné náměstí – exhibition 80 years since the assassination of Heydrich
– Prague, Peace Square – exhibition of 80 years of Operation Anthropoid (until June 18)
– Prague, Ohrada Park – exhibition For the Nation, Dear Homeland! (until August 31)
Details and overview of events until October 7: www.1942.cz