Marie Holm had for more than 20 years called Nørrebro in Copenhagen his home, but longed for more space and a spot on the chin made the small family search for a very special part of Amager.
– We came from the coolest and coziest area in Nørrebro, and we did not want to go to a suburb or a «trampoline area» which did not mean anything to us, tells Marie.
This is how Danica has made her city apartment seem bigger
The family heard about Ebers Villaby, and the last remnants of doubt disappeared after a walk among the old, listed mansions, just 50 meters from wine bars and popular restaurants on Amagerbrogade.
– Here we got both peace, the green area and the city completely close, so when we saw this apartment, we were sold, she continued.
The apartment is located in a large stately villa from the beginning of the 20th century, which they share with another family. And the first month featured several small renovation projects.
– We started by getting our good carpenter friend to rebuild a small walk-through room into a changing room. We had the smallest bedroom before, where I could touch my clothes with my toes when I was in bed, so this felt like luxury, says Marie and smiles.
The couple also chose to sand and paint all the kitchen fronts, and sand and varnish all the floors in the apartment. And then there are colors on the walls.
– Everything was painted in our favorites. We have worked hard to find them. We always smear many color samples on the wall before we paint, to see how the light falls in the room. In addition, we used many of the same color that we had had in our previous home. It’s so hard to find colors, and once you find someone you love, you just stick to them, Marie says.
She describes herself as a bit of a flea finder. She loves to go hunting for flea finds for the occasion, and especially the art deco style is high on her help.
– In the middle of the hunt for furniture, I suddenly also got a penchant for old silk embroidery, which now also hangs around here and gives art deco vibes. I think they are so nice and I love combining them with the rest of what hangs on the walls here.
That it is precisely art deco that catches Marie’s eye is not a coincidence, however, for the slightly decadent style dates from the beginning of the 20th century, just like her home.
– I like to decorate in such a way that it suits the age of the home. There is something beautiful about bringing something old to honor and dignity again, says Marie.
All the walls for Dorte were white – so she moved into an apartment
Get the style
Mix heirlooms, vintage finds and design classics in a kitsch 70s style.