Maia Sandu, President of the Republic of Moldova, turned 50 on Tuesday – May 24, 2022. Maia Sandu won the presidential election in the Republic of Moldova in November 2020, becoming the first woman president in the history of the Republic of Moldova.
Who is Maia Sandu, President of the Republic of Moldova
Maia Sandu was born on May 24, 1972, in the village of Risipeni, Falesti district. He speaks Romanian, English and Russian.
Maia Sandu studied at the school in Risipeni village. In 1994 he graduated from the Academy of Economic Studies of Moldova – Faculty of Management. For three years, between 1995 and 1998, he studied at the Academy of Public Administration in Chisinau, where he obtained a master’s degree in international relations.
The professional activity of Maia Sandu
- July 1994 – March 1998: He was a consultant, Deputy Chief of Staff in the Ministry of Economy.
- March 1998 – August 2005: He worked as an economist at the World Bank Office in Chisinau.
- August 2005 – July 2006: He was Director of the General Directorate of Macroeconomic Policy and Development Program of the Ministry of Economy and Trade.
- 2006 – 2009: He has been a consultant in various projects in the field of governance and public administration reform.
- 2010: Maia Sandu holds a Master’s degree in public policy after completing her studies at Kennedy School of Public Administration at Harvard University USA.
- June 2010 – July 2012: Former Adviser to the Executive Director of the World Bank in Washington.
- July 2012: Maia Sandu became Minister of Education in the Government of the Republic of Moldova, a position she held until July 2015.
- May 2016: She established and was appointed President of the Action and Solidarity Party, a position she held until December 2020 and which she resigned after winning the presidential election.
- February 2019 – June 2019: He was a member of the Parliament of the Republic of Moldova.
- June 2019: Maia Sandu was appointed Prime Minister of the Republic of Moldova, a position she held until November 2019.
- December 24, 2020: Maia Sandu was sworn in as President of the Republic of Moldova after the victory on November 15, 2020, when the second round of the presidential election took place.
Maia Sandu, on Europa FM, in December 2021: “It is a shame that in 30 years the Republic of Moldova has not connected energetically with Romania”
“This crisis has reminded us how important it is to work to ensure the country’s energy security. It is a shame that in 30 years no electricity interconnection stations have been built with Romania; it is a shame that in 30 years we have been dependent on the decision of the Tiraspol Regime in relation to how much electricity we buy from there and at this price “said Maia Sandu in December 2021 on Europa FM.
Photo source: Shutterstock
Read also: Maia Sandu: Moldova asks for Romania’s help to find the billion dollars stolen from its banks | AUDIO