The Bordeaux stone bridge celebrates its two centuries of existence this Sunday, May 1. An anniversary that Bordeaux and Bordeaux Métropole wished to mark.
The Stone Bridge was opened to the public on May 1, 1822. If its construction was decided by Napoleon 1stit was finally under the reign of Louis XVIII that it was born.
On the day of its inauguration, the bridge was therefore named “Louis XVIII bridge”. Some representations show the medallions carved in this way. Then under the Second Empire, it seems to have been called “Napoleon bridge”. But the public has always preferred the name “stone bridge”. This one probably comes from the fact that it is the first stone bridge in the city.
Since December 2002 the bridge is listed as a Historic Monument. Many works are carried out regularly to achieve and strengthen it, the next ones are planned for 2024. In the meantime, the city of Bordeaux and the Metropolis open this Sunday the festivities of its bicentenary.
On the program: an open-air exhibition installed at the heads of the bridge, place Bir-Hakeim and place Stalingrad, an exhibition organized at the Archives of Bordeaux Métropole, archive collections, a photo and news competition, urban walks, a big popular festival on July 14 and many other things. All the details can be found on the city website.