By Guillaume Laurent
Do you know what is the common point between Toulouse and Melles ? If the first displays a density 2,000 times greater than the second, they are both part of the High ten from plus the large communes of Haute-Garonne.
Let it be said: the largest municipalities are not requested the most populated. Sometimes it’s even quite the opposite. From 586 municipalities in the department, Do you know which ones are spread over the largest area? And, conversely, the smallest?
Here is the ranking of more than 25 large municipalities of Haute-Garonne.
#1. Toulouse is twice Bordeaux or Montpellier
Unlike the Pyrénées-Orientales, where Perpignan and its 68.07 km2 only come in fifth place in the department, Toulouse is very far the largest municipality of Haute-Garonne, in terms of area. The capital of the Occitanie region, which still has significant land reserves despite its galloping urbanization, is twice as large as Bordeaux (Gironde) with its 49.36 km², Montpellier (Herault) 56.88km away2we Lyon (Rhone) with 47.87 km². The Pink City is also a bit larger than Paris and its 105.4 km².
Conversely, Narbonne (Aude) is twice as large (172.96 km2) than Toulouse, Montauban (Tarn and Garonne) east also (135.2 km2). The fourth largest city in France is also far behind Marseilles (Bouches du Rhône) and its 240.6 km², and a thousand miles fromArles (Bouches du Rhône), largest city in France with… 758.9 km²!
#2. Montesquieu-Volvestre, a density 100 times lower than in Toulouse
A world separates the Pink City, and the second commune of Haute-Garonne, twice as small. And it’s neither ColomiersNope TurnsheetNope same Blagnac, the other three most populated towns in the department, but… Montesquieu-Volvestre and its 3,111 souls. Here, on the border with Ariège, the density of population is almost 100 times less than in Toulouse: 52 inhabitants per km2 !
#3. Low wall, much less dense than Colomiers, Tournefeuille or Blagnac
fifth city of the department, with 24,797 inhabitants at the last census, just behind Blagnac, low wall also climbs on the podium of the largest communes of Haute-Garonne. So, the birthplace of Clément Ader, inventor and pioneer of aviation, has a high-flying asset: with 5,784 hectares and 429 souls per km2the town is ten times less densely populated than Toulouse, and much less also than cities of intermediate size such as Colomiers (1,919 inhabitants per km2), Turnsheet (1,547), Blagnac (1,512), or even Cugnaux (1,487).
And also… The greatness in the wild of Melles et Oô
For the inhabitants in search of tranquility, even absolute emptiness, nothing beats the town of Melles (the 10and largest in the department), or nearby, the nugget ofOoh (20and) and its eponymous lake: these two villages in the Pyrenees have a population density of 2 and 3.1 inhabitants… per km2 !
Ranking. Here is the Top 20 of the largest municipalities in Haute-Garonne:
- Toulouse : 118.30 km2 / 493,465 inhabitants / 4,171 inhabitants per km2
- Montesquieu-Volvestre : 59.82 km2 / 3,111 inhabitants / 52 inhabitants per km2
- low wall : 57.84 km2 / 24,797 inhabitants / 429 inhabitants per km2
- Cintegabelle : 52.92 km2 / 2,914 inhabitants / 55 inhabitants per km2
- Bagneres de Luchon : 52.80 km2 / 2,285 inhabitants / 43 inhabitants per km2
- Saint-Felix-Lauragais : 51.88 km2 / 1,266 inhabitants / 24 inhabitants per km2
- Boutx : 47.28 km2 / 249 inhabitants / 5.3 inhabitants per km2
- Villemur-sur-Tarn : 46.57 km2 / 6,034 inhabitants / 130 inhabitants per km2
- Pediment : 45.79 km2 / 6,271 inhabitants / 137 inhabitants per km2
- Melles : 45.32 km2 / 92 inhabitants / 2.0 inhabitants per km2
- Verfeil : 41.23 km2 / 3,658 inhabitants / 89 inhabitants per km2
- Avignonet-Lauragais : 40.66 km2 / 1,602 inhabitants / 39 inhabitants per km2
- Gaillac-Toulza : 40.40 km2 / 1,311 inhabitants / 32 inhabitants per km2
- Calmont : 40.27 km2 / 2,371 inhabitants / 59 inhabitants per km2
- Le Fousseret : 38.31 km2 / 1,904 inhabitants / 50 inhabitants per km2
- Sainte Foy de Peyrolieres : 38.02 km2 / 2,093 inhabitants / 55 inhabitants per km2
- Grenade : 37.01 km2 / 8,844 inhabitants / 239 inhabitants per km2
- Auteritive : 36.54 km2 / 9,923 inhabitants / 272 inhabitants per km2
- revel in : 35.31 km2 / 9,637 inhabitants / 273 inhabitants per km2
- Ooh : 32.53 km2 / 101 inhabitants / 3.1 inhabitants per km2
- Rieux-Volvestre : 32.38 km2 / 2,611 inhabitants / 81 inhabitants per km2
- Rivers : 30.90 km2 / 3,578 inhabitants / 116 inhabitants per km2
- Auriac-sur-Vendinelle : 30.71 km2 / 1,055 inhabitants / 34 inhabitants per km2
- Merville : 30.68 km2 / 6,054 inhabitants / 197 inhabitants per km2
- Montbrun Bocage : 30.61 km2 / 470 inhabitants / 15 inhabitants per km2
And for the little ones? In Fonbeauzard, packed like never before!
At the other end of the ranking, what are the three smallest municipalities in Haute-Garonne? One of them is in the metropolis of Toulouse, the last two in the Luchonnais: in Fonbeauzard, the 3,011 inhabitants are concentrated on 1.32 km2. Result: with 2,281 inhabitants per km2, this city has the second highest population density in the department, after Toulouse.
Just behind, but tens of kilometers away, two towns in Comminges bring up the rear: the 92 inhabitants of Lourde (without “s”) near Luchon live in 1.24 km2, or 74 heads per km2, and finally the 7 inhabitants of Trébons-de-Luchon have a space of 0.83 km2, or 8.4 souls per km2!
Was this article helpful to you? Note that you can follow Actu Toulouse in the My Actu space. In one click, after registration, you will find all the news of your favorite cities and brands.