One hundred years ago, Greater Prague was established. Hundreds of thousands of Praguers arrived overnight in Czechoslovakia
Although the plans for Greater Prague go far deeper into history, the expansion of the city, as generously planned by Emperor Charles IV, did not begin until the end of the 19th century. In 1883, the original historical parts (Old and New Town, Lesser Town, Hradčany and Josefov) expanded to Vyšehrad, a year later followed by the annexation of Holešovice-Bubnů and finally Libeň in 1901.
The outer villages gradually grew through the borders of Prague and often stood for connection, some of which resisted connections with the center, for example, mainly due to less favorable tax conditions – they were in Vinohrady, at one time only one of the largest cities in the Czech Republic.
Although parts such as Vinohrady or Žižkov functionally expanded Prague, in fact its expansion did not support art historian Richard Biegel.
Thoughts on a definitive major enlargement did not really change until after the founding of Czechoslovakia. The proposal was submitted in November 1918, but the relevant laws were approved only two years later and did not enter into force until January 1, 1922. population of 37 separate settlements.
The gradual birth, reconstruction or replenishment of the city continued according to a unified plan, but in parts, taking into account all the specifics of each part. Some were created practically on a green meadow (Dejvice), others were transformed from industrial districts to residential (Holešovice).
An important visionary of the transformation of the city as a single unit was Max Urban, who before 1918 created the design of his ideal great Prague. After the establishment of Czechoslovakia, he became the secretary of the State Regulatory Commission for the Capital City of Prague, where he worked until the 1950s.
“This means that the one who was able to draw the vision was a little guarded so that Prague as a whole would have a vision,” concludes Richard Biegel.