Helau and Alaaf! The great days begin on February 24th. In Düsseldorf, Altweiber will be celebrated on Thursday, while the people of Cologne call it all Weiberfastnacht. The revelers are in the starting blocks – just like the organizers. Final preparations are underway in many pubs, bars and breweries. Here you will not miss any information from both cities. We accompany the hustle and bustle in Düsseldorf and Cologne for you until Violet Tuesday.
Carnival in Düsseldorf and Cologne: important information at a glance
+++ February 22, 5:41 p.m. +++
Increased controls and hefty fines: “Düsseldorf is not a celebration zone!”
Shortly before the carnival days, the police and public order office once again made it clear what the rules and requirements for the great days in Düsseldorf look like.
+++ February 22, 5:09 p.m. +++
Shrove Monday in Cologne: First photos of the Zoch cars
Russia’s leader Vladimir Putin, a Catholic priest from the Archdiocese of Cologne or opponents of vaccination are criticized on Shrove Monday with satirical floats. We show the first photos.
>> Putin, priests and opponents of vaccination get their fat off: These are the Shrove Monday floats in Cologne <
+++ February 22, 4:17 p.m. +++
Carnival weather in Cologne: the prospects for the revelers are good
Anyone who wants to celebrate on the streets of Cologne can look forward to it. According to weather expert Dominik Jung, the prospects are good.
>> From Weiberfastnacht to Shrove Monday: This is how the carnival weather in Cologne will be in 2022 <
+++ February 22, 12:02 p.m. +++
Pub carnival in Cologne: Now only those who have been boosted are allowed to celebrate in the pubs
Four days before Weiberfastnacht, the city of Cologne comes around the corner with a further tightening: Now only boosted and equals are allowed to celebrate in the pubs.
>> Cologne Carnival: Corona hammer! Pubs only open for boosters <
+++ February 22, 11:11 a.m .: +++
Great days in Cologne: Mayor Reker threatens hefty fines
Corona violations during the great days? The non-party Mayor Reker warns of an escalation like that on November 11th, when thousands upon thousands celebrated close together and the Corona numbers in Cologne then shot up. Therefore, hefty fines threaten old women. Here is the detailed text:
>> 5000 euros fine: Mayor Reker threatens tough penalties for corona violations <
Carnival 2022 in Düsseldorf and Cologne: These Corona rules apply
According to the current Corona Protection Ordinance, the following conditions and rules apply to carnival events: The events can take place indoors under 2G-plus and restrictions on the number of celebrants, provided they are not pure dance events. Then up to 750 people are allowed in fixed seats.
Corona rules in the customs zone in Düsseldorf’s old town
In the traditional zone from Altweiber to Veilchentuestag, the 2G-plus rule applies outdoors in the old town of Düsseldorf, in the pubs the stricter 2G-plus rule: Here & also those who have been boosted must show a current negative test!
- The 2G plus rule applies to everyone: This means that only those who have been vaccinated and those who have recovered with a negative corona test can enter the customs zone. Exceptions: People who have been boosted or who can show proof of recovery in addition to the corona vaccination.
- If you want to celebrate in the pubs, bars and breweries, you have to stick to the strict 2G-plus rule. Accordingly, those who have been boosted must also prove that they have passed a test
- The antigen rapid test must not be more than 24 hours old. The PCR test is valid for 48 hours.
Corona rule in Cologne: The whole city is a customs zone
At carnival, the entire city of Cologne becomes a customs zone.
- The 2G-plus rule applies to all revelers outside – even at the street carnival: This means that only those who have been vaccinated and those who have recovered with a negative corona test have access to the customs zone. Exceptions: People who have been boosted or who can show proof of recovery in addition to the corona vaccination.
- The situation is different in the pub carnival: the stricter 2G-plus rule originally applied here, in which those who were boosted (and those of equal status) also had to prove a test. But now there is another tightening. Only boosters and equals are allowed to celebrate in pubs. Conversely, this means that those who have been vaccinated twice and those who have been vaccinated once with subsequent infection more than 90 days ago are not allowed to celebrate even with a test – even though they have 2G status.
Shrove Monday in Düsseldorf and Cologne: Which events will take place in 2022?
In Düsseldorf, the Rose Monday procession was postponed to May 29th. On February 28, some pubs like those in Düsseldorf’s old town, such as Rosenrot or the Kurzer and Zum Schlüssel breweries, opened. Overall, the restaurateurs expect significantly fewer jerks.
In Cologne d’r Zoch takes place on Shrove Monday. However, he does not drive through the city, but does his laps in the Müngersdorfer Stadion. The number of visitors is severely limited to 8,800 spectators due to the ongoing corona pandemic. In addition, many pubs have opened their doors. And OB Reker? She works in the office that day.