Another milestone for the car park in Városliget: the transformation of the Károly Kós promenade from a motorway into a real promenade has appeared design tender – readable Dávid Vitézy, CEO of the BFK Budapest Development Center (BFK) Friday In a Facebook post.
The post recalls that more than sixty years ago, the decision was made to drive the introductory section of the M3 motorway through the middle of the City Park, so that the traffic on the Károly Promenade, which bisects Budapest’s historical park, is the same as on the Petőfi Bridge.
It is necessary to renew the city through this modification – added Vité Dávid.
The entry states that the government’s goal is to depopulate Budapest’s number one public park, which is also supported by the Budapest Municipality. The proposal of the Budapest Public Development Council (FKT) is accepted by the government, so in the summer of 2020 it decided to close the Kós Károly promenade in front of the car traffic and hand over the City Park entirely to pedestrians and cyclists.
Health must be achieved in parallel with the development of agglomeration railways
Based on the decision of the Budapest Public Development Council and the government, the preparation of transport developments for the car decontamination of Városliget has been under the order of BFK since the beginning of last year.
The objectives and measures set out in the government decision are as follows:
- The City Park will be completely car-free, the Kós Károly promenade and the Zoo Boulevard will be closed in front of the car traffic. Traffic restrictions do not, of course, affect trolleybuses.
- The city’s iconic historic square, Heroes ’Square, in front of both the Art Gallery and the Museum of Fine Arts, will be completely car-free.
- Surface parking will be discontinued in Városliget (outside a short section of Állatkerti körút).
- A new P + R car park with a total of 1,500 spaces was built for car traffic interested in the M3 motorway (partly at the underground terminus of the Little Forest, partly at the road junction, with its reconstruction) at the intersection of the M3 motorway entrance – Hungária ring – Mexikói út, Mexikói út at the terminal.
- In 2021, BFK started the design of a new road and tram overpass in the line of King Louis the Great Road and Szegedi Road, above the Vác railway line and Rákosrendező. The new overpass connects Zugló with Angyalföld. The new tram connection will be a continuation of tram 3 to Angyalföld. The road bridge planned at the southern end of Rákosrendező will connect the two parts of the city with trams, bicycle lanes and sidewalks, helping their transport and relieving the load on the Hungária boulevard.
Of course, these measures alone are not enough to reduce the number of cars entering the area on the M3 motorway and stop the first increase in traffic.
Therefore, together with the development of the railway lines of the north-eastern region (Roşia Montană, Hatvan line, Gödöllő heat), together with the P + R car parks in the agglomeration stops and stations, it is suitable to implement them. BFK is currently working on the listed developments within the framework of the Budapest Agglomeration Railway Strategy, the CEO finally added.