In Sweden, gambling is legal, however, certain rules must be followed. These rules, known as the Gaming Act, came into force on 1 January 2019.
According to the law, everything that is done in Sweden without a license is illegal and can not be promoted. Interestingly, laws that regulate gambling in Sweden are:
- Swedish Gaming Act (2018: 1138).
- Swedish Gambling Tax Act (2018: 1139).
- Gambling Ordinance (2018: 1467).
- Regulations on fees for supervisory measures (LIFS 2019: 3).
- Regulations and general advice on bingo for good purposes (LIFS 2019: 1).
- Regulations on license applications and permit applications for possession of slot machines (SIFS 2020: 1).
- Regulations and general advice on responsible gambling (LIFS 2018: 2).
- Regulations on exemptions from the requirement for registration (LIFS 2018: 3).
- Regulations and general advice on commercial gaming and betting (LIFS 2018: 5).
- Regulations and general advice on land-based commercial gaming (LIFS 2018: 6).
- Regulations and general advice on games on ships in international traffic (LIFS 2018: 7).
- Regulations and general advice on gambling in casinos and symbolic slot machines (LIFS 2018: 9).
- Regulations on license applications (LIFS 2018: 1)
Types of gaming licenses in Sweden
Before you can become a legal gaming operator in Sweden, you must apply for a license and obtain one. However, there are six different gaming licenses available in Sweden. You can apply for one or more depending on the type of gaming service you want to provide in the country. Below is a list of the six types of Swedish gaming licenses.
State monopoly license: This is the authority you should apply to if you want to run a physical casino. In addition to offline gaming, this license also covers various types of land-based lotteries.
Land-based commercial gaming license: To obtain this license, you must be a restaurant or hotel owners licensed to sell alcohol. This authorization covers certain casino games, lotteries and slot machines.
Betting license: This Swedish gaming license covers all betting online and offline. Types of events that can be bet on include horse racing and live games. However, participants must be over the legal age for gambling in Sweden, which is 18. In addition, you should not allow betting on events that are illegal or inappropriate. If you meet these requirements, the license will be awarded to you.
Commercial Online Gaming License: You need this authorization to operate an online casino that offers table games and computer-based betting. Interestingly, you can get this permit even as a private operator immediately if you meet the requirements.
Charity / Charity License: You can organize land-based lotteries, bingo and sports betting to use the proceeds to fund a charity or charity. However, you need charities or charities to do this. In some cases, you only need to register with the local authorities to get a permit.
Betting on ships with an international traffic license: Before you can offer slot machines such as slots and other casino games on a ship that makes an international voyage, you must obtain this permit.
Who is entitled to a Swedish license?
Having a Swedish gaming license is important if you want to run an online casino in Sweden. This is because online casinos with Swedish gaming licenses are highly recommended by everyone. However, only someone who is knowledgeable, well-trained and has the right level of organization to provide betting is entitled to Swedish licenses. Before the gaming authorities in Sweden can decide whether you are competent or not, you must fill in and submit an application.
To apply for a gaming license in Sweden, you must not be a supplier of slot machines and games. In addition, your gaming software must be tested by independent and accredited organizations. This follows the rules given by Svenskt Spel
Authority (LIFS 2018: 8) to ensure that all casinos are fair. When you get a gaming license, it means that you can operate both an online and offline betting platform. Land-based betting can be conducted under your supervision of agents. Fortunately, these agents do not need to be authorized, but they must be registered with the gaming authority in Sweden.
Features in Sweden licenses
According to Swedish game act, the maximum validity period for all licenses is 5 years. However, this does not mean that the Swedish gaming authorities grant licenses with a validity period of 5 years to all successful applicants. This is why you need to enter the number of years in your application. If the authorities are concerned about your application, you can obtain a permit with a shorter validity period than you requested.
At the end, you can request a renewal by applying again and paying an additional fee.
If you have failed to comply with the rules in the Swedish Gaming Act, the authorities must issue a warning to you. In the worst case, the Swedish gaming authorities can revoke your license for not following the rules. In addition to not following the rules, below are other reasons why your license may be revoked.
- Your permit will be revoked if you applied for it with incorrect information and false documents.
- If you have not started gaming within one year of being licensed, your license will be revoked.
- Swedish gaming authorities will revoke your gaming license if you say you have no use for it.
- If your gaming company has gone bankrupt, your permit will be revoked by the authorities.
- If the permit is not used for betting for six consecutive months, it will be revoked.
Gambling rules are rules that have been introduced to ensure that gambling takes place in a fair and organized manner. Like most countries where betting is considered legal, Sweden has rules of the game. One such rule is that organizations offering betting services must be licensed. If you want to offer gaming services in Sweden, it is recommended that you apply for a license and get it before you start. This is because it is illegal to offer gaming services in Sweden without a license. Finally, click this site to learn about the rules of the game in Sweden.