Due to the high number of infections with Belgium now, the VUB is starting the second semester cautiously. Tutorials take place on campus, but lectures take place online. The VUB starts the second semester as the first ended. But once the epidemic develops it will be ready to move to code green and allow all education to continue physically.
Starting the second semester under normal circumstances is out of the question, according to the VUB, given the risks of contamination figures. That is why the VUB and all other Flemish universities decided to provide partly digital information for the time being. Seminars and practical exercises that take place in small groups and where interaction is important to organize physically, on campus or in other locations. With a few exceptions, the lectures will then take place online again.
This is the specific arrangement:
- Universities of applied sciences continue digitally.
- Tutorials, exercises and practicals take place physically.
- All events, meetings and non-essential agreements signed. It remains to be seen what the governments decide. The current government measures will apply until the end of January for the time being.
- Research activities can continue according to the current measures.
- Doctoral defenses can also take place, with a seated audience.
“We are ready to switch to ‘code green’. This means that when the epidemiological situation allows, we want to have all educational activities continue physically”, VUB said.