Karl Stagno Navarra to open libel case against Lovin Malta over ‘malicious and irresponsible reporting’
Television presenter Karl Stagno Navarra has said he will file a libel lawsuit against the media house Lovin Malta over what he called a “malicious and irresponsible” piece of reporting on his position at Air Malta.
Lovin Malta on Wednesday aired a story entitled ‘Karl Stagno-Navarra with a € 90,000 contract with Air Malta, despite hundreds losing their jobs’, which was based on the premise that the Labor political leader of the television program was still employed with the airline on a mammoth contract. while hundreds of others at the national airline were taking the sack.
In their article, Lovin Malta said that Air Malta had confirmed that Stagno Navarra was still employed by them and that his remuneration was in line with the ranks in similar positions, without giving any actual figures.
The media house quoted reports that Stagno Navarra had a salary of € 90,000 a year.
In a post on his Facebook profile, Stagno Navarra said that the story was “completely false and intended only to create incitement among Air Malta workers” and that it was also intended to cause attacks on him. social media.
“It is absolutely not true that I receive a salary of € 90,000 from Air Malta. The real figure is far from what Lovin Malta has decided to publish so irresponsibly, ”he wrote.
He said that his salary had been published when someone had submitted a request for Freedom of Information and that the people who asked for it were amazed at how low the real figure was.
He also said that he, like other Air Malta workers, had received a letter asking him to consider leaving the airline by the end of next February.
Stagno Navarra said he had instructed his lawyers to open a libel case against Lovin Malta on the article, calling it “malicious and irresponsible reporting”, saying that any money won would be spent on the families affected. more than the airline. restructuring process.