The 17 facts to know about the day: the Spanish Super Cup for Real, the Algerian nightmare, Monaco is having fun …
The Spanish Super Cup for Real, the Algerian nightmare, Monaco have fun, Bordeaux humiliated and relegated, Metz comes out of the red zone, Strasbourg overthrows Montpellier, Lorient misses the mark, Liverpool double Chelsea… Discover the highlights of the Sunday matches in Ligue 1 and abroad.
Real Madrid wins the Spanish Super Cup.
The results in Ligue 1 (click on the score to read the news or the article on the match): Rennes 6-0 Bordeaux, Lorient 0-0 Angers, Monaco 4-0 Clermont, Reims 0-1 Metz, Strasbourg 3-1 Montpellier, Troyes 0-1 Lyon, Marseille 1-1 Lille.
The main results in Europe: Real Madrid 2-0 Athletic Bilbao (Spanish Super Cup),Liverpool 3-0 Brentford, West Ham 2-3 Leeds (Premier League), Betis 2-1 Sville, Balares 0-1 Valencia (King’s Cup), Roma 1-0 Cagliari, Atalanta Bergamo 0-0 Inter Milan (Serie A ), Gambia 1-1 Mali, Tunisia 4-0 Mauritania, Ivory Coast 2-2 Sierra Leone, Algeria 0-1 Equatorial Guinea (CAN).
+ Find on Maxifoot the results, scorers, rankings and calendars of the main championships.
1. The Spanish Super Cup for Real! 12th victory for Real Madrid in the history of the Spanish Super Cup! The Madrid club got the better of Athletic Bilbao (2-0) finally. In a first disputed period, the Merengues opened the scoring by Modric (38th), author of a beautiful strike between the area. After the break, Benzema (52nd, sp) obtained then transformed a penalty in order to make the break. At the end of the game, Militao, sent off for a handball, conceded a penalty, but Courtois diverted Garcia’s attempt with his foot! An additional title for the White House.
2. Algeria’s nightmare! The tenant of the title is in great danger! After a great series of 35 consecutive games without defeat, Algeria beaten by Equatorial Guinea (0-1) in the African Cup of Nations. Despite several clear chances, the Fennecs, with two goals disallowed for offsides, never managed to find the fault. And opposite, the Quatoguinens have made the perfect shot with a goal from a corner by Obiang (70th). Held in check by Sierra Leone (0-0) in the first match, Algeria is in 4th place in group E! A victory will probably be essential for Djamel Belmadi’s men against Ivory Coast on Thursday to stay alive in this tournament.
3. Monaco is having fun! For his first victory in Ligue 1, Philippe Clément offered himself a card with Monaco against Clermont (4-0). ASM took the lead at the end of the first period with a spot shot from Diop (45’+3), then Ben Yedder’s entry into the break allowed the Principality club to make the break. Indeed, the French striker scored a double (55th, 62nd), before Caio Henrique finished the job at the end of the game (83rd). After this great success, the Mongasques occupying the 5th rank in the ranking.
4. Humiliated by Rennes, Bordeaux is relegated… The rebound of the Girondins will not be for now. Vladimir Petkovic’s players will even live the next few days even more complicated after the slap in the face against Rennes (0-6). Terrier (32nd), Bourigeaud (43rd), Laborde (61st), Truffert (69th) and Guirassy (89th, 90th +2) have given the Aquitaine club an ordeal, which now finds itself 19th and adjustable. To see the Debrief and the NOTES of the players, it’s here!
5. under saves OM. Men the break after the opening of the score of Botman (16th), Olympique de Marseille take advantage of their numerical superiority, with the expulsion of André (32nd), to snatch a home point against Lille (1-1) in Ligue 1. Sauv by the equalization of nder (76th), OM, still 3rd in the standings, may still regret not having put a little more madness in the second half to overthrow a courageous Lille team. To see the Debrief and the NOTES of the players, it’s here!
6. Metz leaves the red zone. This is one of the great operations of the weekend. Winner on the lawn of Reims (1-0), thanks to a goal from Niane (61st), Metz jumped in the standings. Garnets go from 19th to 15th place in the ranking. A victory that will be good for morale!
7. A deserved success for Lyon. OL logically won at Troyes (1-0) thanks to a penalty goal from Demb (33rd) in a very interesting first act for the Lyonnais. Despite a more sluggish second period, the Rhone club took three deserved points in Aube and went back to the 10th place in the ranking. To see the Debrief and the NOTES of the players, it’s here!
8. Strasbourg reverses Montpellier! Ahead of the score until the 77th minute, thanks to a goal from Mollet (11th), Montpellier got off to a good start in Alsace with a fifth consecutive victory in the league. But it was without counting on the reaction of Strasbourg at the end of the match. Helped by the expulsion of Wahi, six minutes after coming on, Racing equalized thanks to Waris (77th), before taking the advantage on a goal from Thomasson (84th). Then, Gameiro (86th) ensured the success of the RCSA (3-1), which doubled the MHSC to 7th place in the standings.
9. Lorient fares the tick. In numerical superiority from the 14th minute, the people of Lorient had to settle for a shared points with Angers (0-0). The Hakes have but on a valiant Angevin team and miss the opportunity to offer themselves a breath of fresh air at the bottom of the classification. Christophe Pelissier’s men occupy 18th place in the barrage, tied on points with the first relegation player, Bordeaux.
10. Liverpool double Chelsea. After three games without a win in the league, Liverpool returned to success against Brentford (3-0), the occasion of the 22nd day of the Premier League. Without Salah and Man, committed to the CAN, the Reds concretized their clear domination with goals from Fabinho (44th), Oxlade-Chamberlain (69th) and Minamino (77th). In the standings, Liverpool (45 points) took advantage of Chelsea’s defeat against Manchester City (0-1) on Saturday to overtake the Blues (43 points) in 2nd place. The Mersey club, with a late game, has eleven units less than the Mancunian leader.
11. Betis eliminate Sville after the derby resumes. Interrupted in the 39th minute on Saturday following the throwing of a projectile at midfielder Joan Jordan, the round of 16 of the King’s Cup between Betis and FC Sville resumed this Sunday. While the score was 1-1 when the match resumed in the 40th minute, Fekir (39th) having answered Papu Gomez (35th) last night, Canales (73rd) offered victory and qualification to the Verdiblancos in this Svillan derby (2-1).
12. Gambia and Mali back to back… No winner between the co-leaders of group F of CAN, Gambia and Mali (1-1), during the 2nd day of the group stage. The Malians thought they had done the hardest part by opening the scoring on a Kon penalty late in the game (79th), but Barrow in galis in the last minutes for the Gambians (90th), also on a penalty.
13. …Tunisia is getting closer! Tunisia reacted well after their defeat against Mali (0-1). The Tunisians beat Mauritania (4-0) thanks in particular a duplicate of Khazri. A success that allows the Eagles of Carthage, 3rd, to return a point from Gambia and Mali in group F.
14. Ivory Coast get caught by surprise. After having led twice, however, thanks to goals from Haller (25th) and Pp (65th), the Elphants conceded a draw in the 93rd minute against Sierra Leone (2-2) in group E of the CAN. With 4 points, the Ivorians are still group leaders but remain under threat from Equatorial Guinea (3 points), Sierra Leone (2 points) and even Algeria (1 point).
15. The crazy fluff of the Ivorian goalkeeper… On the goal of the equalizer, signed Alhaji Kamara the 90 + 3rd minute, the Ivorian goalkeeper Badra Ali Sangar and the author of an incredible blunder! Following a header back from Odilon Kossounou, the goalkeeper pulled away to prevent a corner, but completely missed his exit by giving the ball directly to his opponent. Propelled holder for this tournament after the suspension for doping of the usual holder Sylvain Gbohouo, Sangar also had the misfortune to injure himself on his dive. For the record, the Ivorian side right Serge Aurier ended this meeting in the cage of his country.
16. Inter hooked by Atalanta.In Series A, Inter Milan and Atalanta Bergamo failed to decide (0-0). In a gripping encounter, the two teams went blow for blow, with in particular beautiful parades signed Handanovic. In the ranking, Inter remain leaders, but only two points ahead of second-placed AC Milan. For its part, the Déa is in 4th place.
17. Sergio Oliveira already decisive for Roma. Defeated in their last two league games, by AC Milan (1-3) and Juventus (3-4), AS Roma recovered at home against Cagliari (1-0), during the 22nd day of Serie A. He’s the rookie Sergio Oliveira (33rd), arrived this week, who scored the only goal of the match on a penalty. In the standings, Roma move up to 6th place, seven units from the Top 4.
+ Find on Maxifoot the results, scorers, rankings and calendars of the main championships.
What did you think of these results in Ligue 1 and abroad? Feel free to comment in the comments section below.