The Royal Capital of Prague was established in 1784, when four independent Prague cities merged. In the 19th century, the Jewish Town joined them, renamed Josefov, Vyšehrad, Holešovice and Bubny. Libeň also came in the first year of the 20th century. At that time, Prague had 21 square kilometers and approximately 23,000 inhabitants. With the law on the creation of Greater Prague, the city expanded to include other districts such as Dejvice, Karlín, Smíchov, Královské Vinohrady or Žižkov. The capital city of Prague was newly divided into 13 districts. The 100-member central council and city council, headed by the mayor, Karel Baxa, was responsible for the joint administration of the city. In 1922, there were 676,000 inhabitants in Greater Prague, and the city was spread over an area of almost 172 square kilometers.
The adoption of the law brought a number of changes, the creation of new state and embassies. The general directorates of major companies have moved from Vienna to Prague. And that, of course, meant building new infrastructure.