Mosjøen, Arbeidsliv | Jason from the USA has taken the family and moves to Mosjøen: – I want to learn the language as soon as possible
The American has lived in big cities all his life. After seeing an Instagram photo in 2017, he was captured by Mosjøen.
Jason Ball has recently been employed by Arctic Food, and will work with, among others, Per Theodor Tørrissen in Mosjøen. Ball is originally from Chicago, and got his eyes on Mosjøen after getting a picture in the Instagram feed about four years ago.
– I had a couple of friends who were at Arctic Food in 2017 and posted lots of pictures from Sjøgata and Øyfjellet. I immediately started asking where this was and think it was absolutely spectacular. Afterwards, I sent an email to Per Theodor and asked if I could participate in next year’s festival, and then I was welcomed with open arms, says Ball.
Got backwards welded
When Jason first arrived at Mosjøen in 2018, he struggled to put words to experiences.
– It is an experience that is difficult to describe. You come to the city and are just completely paralyzed by nature and the people who are here. I had never experienced such a dynamic and unique food festival as Arctic Food – it was really special, he continued.
During the festival in 2018, he was taken to the agricultural school in Marka av Tørrissen, to get a tour of the facilities. There, Jason realizes the school has many of the same money and focus that his department at Oregon State University has. At the acclaimed university, Jason then worked in a product development team, where his task was to create new products that were to be distributed to store shelves in the United States.
Chicago, NYC and Portland
As previously mentioned, Jason has always lived in big cities. Growing up in Chicago, he shared with around 2.7 million others before taking the trip to New York City to attend cooking school. After a few years in the big apple, he headed for Copenhagen to gain more experience in the restaurant industry. For the past seven years, he has worked as a product developer in Portland at Oregon State University.
In the new year, he starts his new life in Mosjøen with his wife and cats.
Was never in doubt
– What is the reason why someone from Chicago wants to move to Mosjøen?
– Both me and my wife Stacey wanted to do something new and exciting, and we were tired of the big cities. I have always had a desire to return to Mosjøen after experiences in 2018, and when I saw the job advertisement for Arctic Mat, there was never any doubt, says Jason.
– What do you think will be the biggest challenges in the beginning?
– My wife and I are both very adaptable, and we are prepared to face different challenges with good courage. Initially, we want to learn the language as soon as possible – it is very important to us, he continues.
– What do you think about the claim that Norwegians are enclosed and cold?
– I do not recognize that statement at all. I have just experienced good and warm people here in the city, and both me and Stacey are really looking forward to getting involved and becoming part of the local community in the years to come, says an enthusiastic Jason.
Sour weather and gentle people
Colleague Per Theodor Tørrissen jokes that Jason could not have chosen a worse day to come to Mosjøen on.
First of all, Jason and Stacey came on almost the darkest day of the year, close to the winter solstice. In addition, there was a small heat wave, so it was pouring rain and all the snow was gone. On top of that, he had to be quarantined right before he got the test results, he says.
Jason still did not look darkly at it.
– It is clear that corona is a challenge, and it was not a great day to get on, but it has actually been just fine so far. It was some friends that I became acquainted with her in 2018 who had put some “survival kits” with good mat and something local when we arrived. I have been incredibly well received so far, he says.
Lots of iron in the fire
On Monday this week, he had an unofficial first day on the job, and was given a tour of the premises by Per Theodor. In the beginning, Jason will create content for Arktisk Mat, and work closely with his partner Bodø 2024. In the future, it is thought that he will step into a consulting role.
– I like to have a lot of iron in the fire. I will probably have a number of different work tasks during the years that the agreement extends over. I look forward to exploring Norway, especially north. I see a huge potential in the region and I am very much looking forward to getting started, says Jason.
The American reveals that he has a desire to continue living in Mosjøen beyond the two years that his contract embraces.
– Per Theodor, what will Jason contribute to Arctic Mat?
– First and foremost, he will contribute with many good impulses and generally good mood. Jason is a wonderful guy that we are very happy to have here at Arctic Food. He has a large international network which will be of great use, and in addition he is a potato in good Norwegian. He will contribute to all areas of the organization, Tørrissen concludes.
Students from all over the country gathered in Mosjøen to highlight forgotten raw materials: – Has much more taste
Employed to take care of all the projects in Marka: – Would rather occupy the job now