The two social media platforms published a ranking of the topics, hashtags and songs that moved Austrians the most.
The year 2021 is drawing to a close and there was a lot going on on the various social media platforms again this year. Facebook and Instagram have published a ranking of the topics, hashtags and songs that most affected the Austrians on the two platforms.
The top moments of this year’s annual review were determined based on the number of times they were mentioned between January 1, 2021 and October 31, 2021. “To determine which topics could be clearly assigned to the year 2021, we have key words with the maximum values of a day in the previous year,” explains Johannes Prüller, Communications Manager Austria & Switzerland at Meta.
The top 10 topics
- Chancellor: The resignation of Sebastian Kurz (ÖVP) as Federal Chancellor and the investigations of the Economic and Corruption Public Prosecutor’s Office (WKStA) were among the most discussed topics on Facebook and Instagram – before and after Kurz resigned from all his political offices on December 2nd.
- Coffee shop: Austria has a distinctive coffee house culture. Regardless of whether it’s a small Brauner, Melange or Flat White, in a traditional coffee house or in a hip shop – the café made it into the top terms this year. Especially during the time when the cafes were allowed to reopen after the lockdown, the joy among the users was great: inside.
- Cycle: Cycling is becoming increasingly popular in many large cities. Austria’s cities are also turning into bicycle cities. Because many agree: the lockdown brought many people who don’t like to pedal and started a discussion about environmental damage and space requirements for cars in cities.
- European Football Championship: The 2020 European Football Championship was postponed by a year due to the corona pandemic, but the time had come in summer 2021. And it couldn’t have been more exciting. Austria ended in the round of 16 against eventual European champions Italy. Bitter, because Austria came to the goal in the meantime when the score was 0-0, but it was withdrawn because of Arnautovic’s offside position.
- Ibiza: Austria is already in a government crisis, but the Ibiza video, which led to the breakup of the coalition in 2019, remains among the top topics. The affair was filmed as a series in 2021 – and the Vienna Regional Court found former Vice Chancellor Heinz-Christian Strache guilty of bribery in office.
- Vaccinate: The corona pandemic is on our minds for the second year in a row. In 2021, vaccination was the main topic that users discussed. Facebook and Instagram continue to provide reliable sources of information in the Covid-19 information centers and users can use profile frames and stickers that show that they have been vaccinated.
- Intensive care unit: The number of people in Austria who die due to a corona infection needs intensive medical care throughout the year – and the intensive care units threatened to become overloaded at times, which is why life-saving operations on seriously ill people cannot be carried out.
- LGBTIQ +: The abbreviation LGBTIQ + for “lesbian, gay, bi, trans, intersexual, queer” and incorporates a male sexual orientation and gender identity. On Facebook and Instagram everyone can proudly celebrate their identity and draw attention to current discrimination. Starting this year, Instagram users can also add their pronouns to their profile.
- Beach: Sharing photos from a beach vacation is one of our users’ favorite pastimes. This year the number of shared posts has risen again – probably also for the pleasure of experiencing a change from surprises to Corona restrictions.
- Environment: Environmental and climate protection remained one of the top topics in Germany in 2021. On our platforms, users can find inspiration and tips, exchange experiences and motivate each other. The Facebook Climate Information Center also has reliable information on climate change.
The top 10 hashtags
- #Picture of the Day
The top 10 songs
- Dardan – BIBO
- Gustavo Bravetty – Babel
- Michael Bublé – It’s starting to look like Christmas
- Jonathan Roy – Nice day
- Amaarae – Sad Girlz Luv Money Remix (feat.Kali Uchis and Moliy)
- Bleedingxheart – Lovely
- CKay – Love Nwantiti (feat.Dj Yo! & AX’EL) [Remix]
- Niko Moon – Good time
- Travel – Euforija
- Becky Hill – My Heart Goes (La Di Da)
In keeping with the big moments that communities have experienced and shared throughout the year, a new Instagram Stories feature recently launched, giving people a chance to look back at the end of the year. With “Playback”, up to ten stories from the previous year can be selected and shared from the archive for an annual review until December 21st. (how)