“Two damaged lines of the Prague incinerator are now awaiting costly repairs, and it is estimated that it will be in full operation in the second half of next year,” said Prague Services spokesman Radim Mana. The incinerator fire in Malešice broke out on Wednesday, October 20.
“I am glad that we managed to negotiate with the ZEVO Plzeň incinerator and we do not have to dump the waste unnecessarily. Incineration is definitely a more ecological option, “said Deputy Mayor Petr Hlubuček. The damage caused by the fire was estimated by the Prague services at several million crowns.
So far, all the waste that Malešická spalovna could not process during heavy traffic has been sent to landfills around the metropolis. The part of the waste that is not incinerated by the Pilsen incinerator will continue to go there. However, according to the management of Prague, incineration is more environmentally friendly, because landfilled waste releases a large amount of methane, a greenhouse gas 21 times worse than carbon dioxide. According to Many Prague Services, they have been cooperating with the Pilsen facility for a long time.
The fire in one of the buildings of the Malešice incinerator started on the afternoon of Wednesday, October 20, according to firefighters, reconstructed technologies for flue gas cleaning were burning there. The fire did not spread to other buildings, and firefighters brought it under control in about two hours. The incinerator has four boilers, which it has been gradually reconstructing in recent years. According to Many, the most damaged third line was less than two months into operation after the general reconstruction.