Sports studio – Tennis star in safety
China’s tennis profile Peng Shuai on Sunday became for the first time in just under three weeks left out among people. It later emerged that she had also spoken to the IOC.
On Sunday, official videos appeared showing Peng among previous openings of a tennis competition for young people in Beijing. She has also become a picture of a restaurant.
The 35-year-old had not been made public after she posted a message on Weibo (the Chinese response to Twitter) on November 2. There, she accused China’s former Deputy Prime Minister Zhang Gaoli of sexually abusing him ten years ago.
Neither Zhang nor the country’s government have commented on the allegations. Money’s post was quickly deleted. In China, the theme has been blocked so that users can not mention the case.
Later Sunday, it became clear that she has spoken to the International Olympic Committee (IOC). There she made it clear that she is safe and well. She did so in a video interview with IOC President Thomas Bach and board chair Emma Terho.
– I was so relieved to see that Peng Shuai was doing well, something that was our biggest concern, says Terho in another reproduced by the news agency AFP.
In the last week, the sport of tennis has asked for proof that Peng is doing well. The UN and several countries, such as the United States and the United Kingdom, have done the same.
However, the new images of Peng do not have the WTA’s concerns. The women’s tennis organization thinks it is not enough.
– While it is positive to see her, it is still unclear whether she is free and able to make her own decisions and do as she pleases without outside force and influence. The videos alone are not enough, with WTA Director Steve Simon in a press release.
The WTA has not commented on the matter after the tennis profile’s conversation with the IOC.
On Saturday, Casper Ruud spoke on the Peng case. Then he described the last week as “insane”.
– We’re all worried and thinking about her. We want her to be well and to hear from her soon. I have not followed the case in detail, but it is one of the most serious cases in the sports world at the moment, Ruud told NTB after the semi-final loss in the ATP play-off in Turin.
– We are all human beings even though we are participants. It’s good to see how everyone supports each other when something like this happens, he added.