The Prague City Council will have the quality and quantity of water tested in 37 wells in the city. The aim is to provide alternative water sources in case of emergencies or crisis situations. Testing costs are estimated at CZK 4.32 million. The office will now issue a tender and look for a company to do the work. This follows from a document approved by Prague councilors today. In 2017, the municipality launched a well mapping project. There are a total of about 12,500 of them in the metropolis.
The selected company for the city will perform, among other things, a pumping test lasting three days, when it will draw water from the wells 24 hours a day. It will also prepare an evaluation of the tests, including a calculation of the yield of each water source. In the final report, he will present a proposal for the use of the well and any necessary construction modifications. It will also ensure safety so that no one can fall into the well.
The company will hand over the results of its findings to the company Pražské vodovody a kanalizace (PVK), which is in charge of water distribution in Prague. For example, water quality analyzes will be performed here.
The well mapping project was launched in 2017, when the municipality found 12,460 wells in the metropolis on the basis of older map data. Of these, 511 were sufficiently plentiful and 112 were located on city or state land. Due to the fact that the original documents were from 1969 to 1985, some wells have already disappeared, or were badly drawn on the maps and were in fact located on private land.
Prague is supplied with drinking water from almost three quarters of the Želivka water treatment plant, which draws water from the Švihov water reservoir on the Želivka river. It covers 73 percent of consumption in the metropolis. It also supplies water to a number of municipalities in the Central Bohemian Region. The remaining 27 percent of consumption in Prague is covered by the Káraný water treatment plant, which draws water from the Jizera. The third source is the Podolská waterworks, which treats water from the Vltava.
Source: CTK, illustration photo
15.11.2021 12:30, Rubric: Water supply and sewerage