Last autumn, all of Denmark’s mink had to be killed due to a huge corona outbreak. This was a safety measure to stop corona infection from mink to humans. It is estimated the number of mink that may have lived between 15 and 17 million.
It did not take long before the government had no legal basis to carry out such a massacre. This led, among other things, to Denmark’s then Minister of Food and Fisheries, Mogens Jensen, choosing to resign.
The Mink Commission will now map out what happened in the days when Denmark decided that the mass killing should be carried out.
In the wake of this, it has become known that Mette Frederiksen’s SMS exchanges in connection with the killing have been deleted.
Frederiksen explains to the Danish BT newspaper that she is prompted to turn on a feature that deletes all text messages automatically after 30 days.
When asked who encouraged her to turn on this feature, she tells Danish TV 2 that the call came from the Prime Minister’s office and that she can not comment further.
In addition to Frederiksen, the channel has asked several former ministers if they have also had the practice of deleting text messages. The general answer is no, according to TV 2’s political reporter Sverre Quist.
Mette Frederiksen’s predecessor as prime minister, Lars Løkke Rasmussen, tells BT that he has never received similar advice.
– No, I have never received such advice.
One who recognizes himself in what Frederiksen says is former Minister of Justice, Søren Pind. He writes on Twitter and provides the ability to delete text messages systematically.
Well. Since so many ask: 1) I know of no ministers who have journalized their text messages. The Minister is an authority figure – but regardless, it is not customary. 3) I deleted my sms per automatic function continuously every 14 days. Partly due to safety. Partly because it filled.
– Søren Pind (@sorenpind) October 27, 2021
TV 2 has asked the Prime Minister’s office when they started giving advice on activating automatic deletion. The channel has so far not received a response.
According to Frederiksen’s explanation, several are reacting.
No security reason
One of these is former head of PET (Police Security Service), Hans Jørgen Bonnichsen.
He tells BT that when a new prime minister in Denmark joins, he will receive security training from PET. Her teacher the ministers must be aware of in relation to sensitive information so that it does not end up in the wrong hands.
– If the Prime Minister had followed that guide, there would be no security reason to delete the text message.
Sophie Løhde, political spokesperson for the Liberal Party, also says she is not convinced by Frederiksen’s explanation.
– You can know that it stinks from a long way when the Prime Minister, in the middle of the biggest political scandal in recent Danish history, has accidentally introduced a practice where she deletes her messages, says Sophie Løhde, political spokesperson in the Danish Liberal Party to Danish TV 2 .
But then the case took a new turn.
During a hearing on Thursday, it turned out that the messages that were supposed to be deleted still exist.
The resigned Minister of Agriculture Mogens Jensen’s adviser, Søren Andersen, made an offer to hand over SMS exchanges with the Prime Minister and her advisers.
The adviser’s lawyer states that the messages are stored on the old job phone of the Minister of Agriculture’s adviser, writes Danish media.
According to NTB, Frederiksen will appear before the mink commission on 9 December to explain himself further.
Demanded Supreme Court
Earlier has BT revealed by Mette Frederiksen’s adviser, Martin Justesen, deleted SMSs related to the same case. According to the newspaper, it was about SMSs between Justesen and the adviser to the then Minister of Agriculture and Food Mogens Jensen.
According to BT, Justesen had also set the phone to automatically delete all text messages after a certain period.
BT’s revelation quickly provoked strong reactions.
“This scandal is growing bigger and bigger,” Alex Vanopslagh, chairman of the Liberal Alliance, told the newspaper.
Together with the Conservative Party, they have advocated for a national court case after the Mink Commission’s work has been completed.
– The Prime Minister’s Office has tried to circumvent the document access BT is entitled to. It is a scandal and I do not think the government is worthy of continuing, Vanopslagh continues.