The Matmut stadium in Bordeaux will host five matches of the next Rugby World Cup, whose tickets are already selling well
The Matmut stadium in Bordeaux will have no trouble filling up its 42,000 seats at the next Rugby World Cup, which will be held in France in 2023. According to Claude Atcher, the “Mr. World Cup” ( he is general manager of the organizing committee), 85% of the tickets for the five matches which will take place in Bordeaux have already been sold. The French Rugby Federation (FFR) reserves a volume of 10% of tickets, we can even consider that the presale reaches 95% in Bordeaux. The remaining 5% will find a buyer quickly.
The economic benefits
Claude Atcher was in Bordeaux this Wednesday, October 27, in the rooms of the Chamber of Commerce (CCI), to present the “hospitality” component of the World Cup. This term in fact designates the program reserved for companies wishing to organize events around the competition, in the boxes and lounges of the Matmut stadium. Like all major sporting events, the Rugby World Cup has an impact on the local economic fabric, even if it is not yet quantified. “An event like that, it’s a lot of people who come to Bordeaux, who consume and find accommodation. It’s like a big international show, companies must prepare for it, ”explains Christian Seguin, president of the CCI.
The local first and foremost
Claude Atcher insists on the local dimension claimed by the competition: “We are going to involve local players as a priority. Everything that will be served in the boxes and lounges of the stadium, for example, will come from a radius of 50 km. The 23 chefs will make all the menus with local products. For the marketing of hospitality, it’s the same, we work with a local agency. According to him, this local bonus is part of the social acceptability of the event. There is no question for the World Cup to fall under the criticism of the unnecessary and wasteful gigantism that strikes the Olympic Games: “the competition must be acceptable to the general public, it must benefit the country. This is a very important dimension for us ”.