Since the beginning of autumn, almost 20 gas-air mixture explosions have taken place in Russia. It is reported by TASS with reference to the press service of the Russian Emergencies Ministry.
The department said that fires that are used from gas appliances, as a rule, are accompanied by an explosion, therefore, they are considered the most dangerous. It is noted that almost two dozen incidents involving the use of gas equipment have occurred since September alone.
According to statistics, in the cold season, the number of fires grows by almost a third. In most cases, a fire occurs due to improper operation or malfunction of electric heaters, gas and furnace equipment. The death toll in such fires is also 20 percent, 60 percent of people die from poisoning by combustion products.
Earlier, the director of the Institute for Regional Studies and Urban Planning at the Higher School of Economics, Professor Irina Ilyina explained to the Russians the increasing frequency of gas explosions in homes. According to her, with the onset of cold weather, people begin to use stoves as a source of heating.
On Monday evening, October 25, it became known about an explosion in an apartment on the fourth floor of a five-story residential building on Tatarstan Street in Naberezhnye Chelny. As a result of the emergency, five people were injured. Later, one of them – a 22-year-old girl – died in hospital.
The UK is considering two versions of what happened: poor-quality provision of gas supply services and careless actions associated with improper operation of gas equipment.
Two more explosions in residential buildings took place in the afternoon on Tuesday, October 26: in the city of Vidnoye near Moscow and Baltiysk in the Kaliningrad region.