The high-quality facility on today’s Füredi út also plays an important role in the local water sports life.
Don’t miss this!
László Bige, the left-wing billionaire, took a lot of money from the farmers
The local history exhibition entitled “Margaret” – the history of the legendary bath in Debrecen opened on Wednesday evening in the ground floor lecture of the Méliusz Central Library in Debrecen. The compilation was selected from the material of the local history photo gallery by Andrea Marton. At the opening ceremony of the exhibition, which can be seen at the Bem tér institution until November 17, the MoMo Duo (Zsolt Györgyfi – trumpet, Endre Molnár – tango accordion) gave a stylish, atmospheric program of melodies from the beginning of the last century, then dr. Attila Nagy, a postcard collector, gave a lecture on the past.
Visitors were able to travel for free
In his speech, the local history researcher also recalled that Debrecen had a very large aquatic life for more than 100 years, and the Margaret Bath, which was built by Gyula Szikszay, was also part of this. This architectural masterpiece opened in 1890 and was not only a (purity) bath, but also housed its skating rink, great hall, and later workers ’home, among others. The facilities set up on Károly Ferenc József Avenue (today’s Füredi út) play a significant role in the first water sports life of Debrecen, as the city’s – men’s – swimming pool operated here. Attila Nagy also recalled that Margit’s main building faced south, with a fountain park in front of it and the “recreation complex” behind it.
Gyula Szikszay agreed with the steam railway company, so those who bought tickets to Margaret could travel on the flights for free. After the death of the owner, Márton Bíró and Sándor Szatmári rented it, then in 1921 it became the property of Margit Rt. Four years later, a restaurant was built in the area, but in 1941 the demolition of the spa was finally ordered. A workers’ home opened in the area as early as 1909, where trade union groups and a Social Democratic office also found a place. Finally, in 1922, the Debrecen Workers’ Home Cooperative bought the entire property for 800,000 crowns.
Magda Szabó also included it in her novel
A II. In World War II, the building of the workers’ home was also badly damaged, with the house declared 75 percent ruined. Until 1964, it functioned as the headquarters of the city-district labor guard. The remaining (but still beautiful) parts of the building were then demolished and four-storey residential buildings were erected in their place. In the block interior of the real estate complex opposite St. László Parish since 1975, a labor movement sign refers to the former existence of the late paradise. However, the memory of the bath was immortalized by Magda Szabó in her novel The Old-Fashioned Story – the name-giving Margit is the brother of her maternal grandfather, who is none other than Margit Jablonczay.