A sample of Prague’s Art Nouveau architecture stands on Národní třída in Prague, opposite the National Theater. These are two houses built at the beginning of the 20th century according to the design of the architect Osvald Polívka. The building closer to the Vltava belonged to the Prague insurance company, the second building, Topičův dům, is named after the famous Prague publisher František Topič, who presented Czech and foreign art here.
A sample of Prague’s Art Nouveau architecture stands on Národní třída in Prague, opposite the National Theater. | Video: TV architect
The ground floor of Topič’s house was remodeled in the 1930s by architect František Zelenka in the style of functionalism. The Borový publishing house, the Lidové noviny editorial office or the post-war Czechoslovak writer publishing house were located here.
Take a look at the Hidden Treasures section about Prague’s oldest electric tram:
The neighboring house originally belonged to the Prague insurance company. It was established in the years 1906-1907 by rebuilding the Empire house and was adapted into the adjoining Topič house. The facade of this house ends with a massive ledge, under which there is a frieze composed of the letters PRAGUE, in which oval windows are incorporated.
The richly decorated facade, provided with sculptural decoration by the author Ladislav Šaloun, belongs to the purest examples of Art Nouveau creation. The gates to the courtyard with the Polívka mosaic, where the famous poetic wine bar Viola is located, are also beautiful.