The Castellane or Compaigno mansion, rue Croix-Baragnon, has just been partially restored. A fine example of the enhancement of the heritage of Toulouse, which requires heavy investments.
Toulouse is asking, as we know, to be listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, for its many mansions, in connection with the places of power of the Pink City. A recognition which, for the moment, comes up against the poor state of this heritage, however very rich, built for Capitouls, great judges or venerable noble families, but also for traders, some of whom had made their fortune in pastel.
Monumental portal on rue Croix-Baragnon
The Castellane or Compaigno mansion, 10, rue Croix-Baragnon, next to the chamber of commerce, is remarkable, in particular by its portal on the street, in a triumphal arch, surmounted by a terracotta statue with a warlike appearance: two lions, a cannon, drums … but not ostentatious. A statue that threatened ruin, risking collapsing on the noble and busy street leading to the Place Saint-Etienne. Hence the priority given by the union council of co-owners, the portal by Patrick Deneux-Latournerie, to the restoration of these facades and to the brickwork, as well as to the statues dominating it. A restoration under the control of the Regional Directorate of Cultural Affairs, led by the architect Axel Letellier, mixing ocher and white brick with copper fittings. “The entire mansion is listed as a historic monument except the interior of the apartments”, specifies Patrick Deneux-Latournerie.
Mayor of Toulouse at the origin of Alsace and Metz streets
There is no great military figure among the celebrities who have resided in this set, rising around two majestic interior courtyards. The Saint-Jory hotel was built around 1545 by the great Nicolas Bachelier for the judge mage (major) Michel Dufaur de Saint-Jory. But today only the cellars remain, Judge D’Andrieu de Monclavel having had the current building built in the 18th century.e century. This site was the scene of events such as the founding of the Archaeological Society of the South of France in 1831 at the instigation of its then owner, Joseph Léonard de Castellane. “And by signing a treaty with Spain”, according to Patrick Deneux-Latournerie. Under the Second Empire, the owner of the hotel was Count Jean Patras de Campaigno, mayor of Toulouse at the origin of the construction of the streets of Alsace-Lorraine and Metz! Today, the hotel has 24 co-owners who plan to continue the restoration, in two years, by repairing the galade (pebble paving) of the large interior courtyard and burying the networks then by repairing the interior facades. . A global investment estimated at 1.5 million € (of which 600,000 € have already been devoted to the repair of parts on the street). The Drac provides subsidies and an aid application file is being put together for the city and the metropolis.