Series champion Red Bull Salzburg is not only the clear number one in Austria on the grass. At the 25th Bruno Gala on Monday evening in the Wiener Stadthalle, Salzburg won the three most important awards for the 2020/21 Bundesliga season. In addition to the team of the year, Patson Daka was honored as player of the season and Jesse Marsch, who has since moved to RB Leipzig, was honored as coach of the season.
“We have to work through all of this, it’s not always easy. We always have a lot of departures in summer. Still, it’s amazing how quickly dying boys grow into their roles. I am very proud to receive this award, ”said Salzburg veteran Zlatko Junuzovic. The award was announced by an ex-Salzburg resident: three-time Spanish Bundesliga top scorer Jonathan Soriano, who ended his career in September.
Stuttgart striker Sasa Kalajdzic was chosen as the promoted player, Christoph Baumgartner from TSV Hoffenheim as legionnaire and Patrick Pentz as goalkeeper of the season. In the women’s category, SKN St. Pölten and Lisa Kolb, who moved from Neulengbach to FC Freiburg in the summer, are number one. Harald Lechner was named best referee for the seventh time, the honorary award went to the former Admira trainer Klaus Schmidt. Fabian Schubert (Blau Weiß Linz, since summer St. Gallen) was player of the season in the 2nd league, Sandro Ingolitsch made the comeback of the year.
Daka named “Player of the Season”
For the eighth time, the award for the best player went to a “Red Bull”. After Kevin Kampl in 2014, Jonatan Soriano in 2015 and 2016, Andreas Ulmer in 2017, Valon Berisha in 2018, Munas Dabbur in 2019 and Erling Haaland in 2020, Patson Daka, who joined Leicester as the top scorer in the Premier League, was honored.
Salzburg won the team trophy en suite for the fourth time, and their coaches won the Bruno for the fifth time in a row. After Oscar Garcia (2017) and twice Marco Rose (2018 and 2019), Marsch also won the election for the second time.
At the Bruno Awards, which has been held since 1997 by the Association of Footballers (VdF) in memory of the ÖFB national player Bruno Pezzey, who died in 1994, local Bundesliga players are eligible to vote in the main categories.
Bruno Prize Winner 2021
- Player of the season: Patson Daka (Red Bull Salzburg)
- Newcomer of the season: Sasa Kalajdzic (VfB Stuttgart)
- Coach of the season: Jesse Marsch (RB Salzburg)
- Team of the season: Red Bull Salzburg
- Goalie of the season: Patrick Pentz (Austria Vienna)
- Goalscorer crown: Patson Daka (RB Salzburg)
- Legionnaire of the season: Christoph Baumgartner (TSV Hoffenheim)
- Referee of the season: Harald Lechner
- Player of the season 2nd league: Fabian Schubert (Blue White Linz)
- Women’s team of the season: SKN St. Pölten women
- Player of the season: Lisa Kolb (USV Neulengbach)
- Honorary award: Klaus Schmidt
- “Comeback stronger”: Sandro Ingolitsch (Sturm Graz)
- Dream goal of the season: Ercan Kara (Fast)