A historic route in eight panels has just been installed in Bonsecours, from the town hall to the cemetery via the Casino. The circuit stops at the cemetery where Father Jacques Hamel is buried.
Panels detailing the history of the monuments and buildings of Bonsecours have just been put up. The cultural assistant, Hervé Couillard, initiated this project, which took several years to come to fruition. Each time, concise texts, also translated into English, review the history of the place in question and are accompanied by illustrations.
José Maria de Heredia and Father Hamel
This historic route includes eight stations. The first is located in front of the town hall. The other panels are notably located near the Notre-Dame basilica, and in front of the cemetery where the tomb of the poet José Maria de Heredia is located, as well as that of Father Jacques Hamel, assassinated in July 2016.
A lectern evokes the presence of the Belgian military hospital on the plateau des Aigles during the First World War. The circuit continues at the Joan of Arc monument inaugurated in 1892, then in front of the current Casino.
This room succeeded the previous one destroyed by fire in 2006. The town had to obtain the approval of the Bâtiments de France before installing this equipment near buildings classified as the Notre-Dame de Bonsecours basilica.