The development of the last few weeks has accelerated Norwegians’ desire to travel, and bookings for the winter are ticking in at a rapid pace.
– We already saw early last week that something positive was going on. Among other things, there was a large increase in searches for travel on ving.no, and you can try to keep the trend going, says an enthusiastic Marie-Anne Zachrisson.
Zachrisson is country manager at Ving, and says that last week was the tour operator’s best sales week throughout the pandemic.
– We are both proud and happy to note that winter sales increased by as much as 145% compared to the week before. We have long waits for the ketchup effect, and it is fantastic to see that many people finally book the holidays they dream of, says Zachrisson.
She believes the reason for the increase may be both declining infection rates and that many fully vaccinated people have discovered how easy it is to travel abroad – and that it is easy to come back again.
– Besides, the harvest has come in earnest here at home, and then it is easy to long for a holiday in warmer regions. Right now, winter trips to the Canary Islands, Thailand and Cape Verde are the most popular. The Spanish sunny coast and Madeira are also in the limelight, says Zachrisson.
However, it is not just sun and heat that finally lures Norwegians out into the world again. Sales of city trips at Ving have also received a real boost recently.
– Last week, we sold more than twice as many city trips as we did throughout August, says Svein Erik Bjørheim, head of Ving’s scheduled flights department.
Rome, Paris, Barcelona, Copenhagen and Krakow are the cities most people book city trips to right now.
– Many have thought that weekend trips to big cities are a type of holiday we could expect a challenge for people to start booking again, so we are happy to see that the desire is back already.