Do you have tiles in your garden? Pop them out and plant greenery instead. Good for your garden, good for the city. Your garden will be cooler, the rainwater will drain better and your garden will be visited by birds again. We will pick up your tiles at home for free in September.
Amsterdam starts the final sprint for the Dutch Tile Wippen Championship. Every removed tile counts towards our score. The last round is in September. Will you join us? It’s simple: tile out, green in.
Replacing tiles with green?
The climate is changing. It is getting warmer and the rain showers are more extreme. Fewer tiles and more greenery in the city has many advantages. In a petrified city it stays warm longer and rainwater can sink into difficult ground. Green cools and absorbs water. It makes the city more beautiful and ensures greater biodiversity.
How does the tile service work?
- Remove tiles from your garden to make green.
- Report your tiles to the tile service before 9 p.m. confirmed on the collection day rainproof.nl/tegelservice.
- Place your tiles on the corner of your street. This is possible from 4 p.m. on the day before the collection day until no later than 7:30 a.m. on the collection day itself.
- Monday September 6 – Noord borough
- Monday 13 September – New West and West districts
- Monday September 20 – boroughs Southeast and East
- Monday 27 September – South and Center districts
Your tiles count during the Dutch Tile Wippen Championships!
Every dropped tile in the Netherlands is already a win, but of course we go for the win! The tiles we collect will count towards the score for Amsterdam. All you do is sign up for the tile service. Are you not using the tile service? Then you can also register your tiles yourself via the website of the NK Tegelwippen.
Tiles per inhabitant
With almost 65,000 removed tiles, Amsterdam has removed the most tiles. But if we look at the ranking we are in 29th place. How is that possible? It is the number of tiles per inhabitant. The municipality of Rucphen is king: they have already removed 990 tiles per inhabitant. The Dutch National Championships Tegelwippen runs until September 30, 2021.
Tips, help and inspiration for your garden
Would you like to know more about how we keep our cool and our feet dry in Amsterdam? Go to www.amsterdam.nl/climateadaptatie