Updated 21. 1. 2021 10:45
The National Gallery in Prague will extend the exhibition of works by the famous painter Rembrandt van Rijn until March 21. “Once it will be possible to reopen, we will launch a new reservation system for time slots to prevent the spread of queues. The exhibition will be open during extended opening hours, daily from 9 am to 9 pm,” advises gallery spokeswoman Eva Sochorová.
The show in Kinský’s palaces called Rembrandt: Portrait of a Man was originally supposed to start in the spring, its opening was postponed to September due to the spread of covid-19 disease. It was finally made available on September 25, and lasted until the end of January.
Due to epidemiological measures, it has been closed to the public again since December 27, although it was among the five exhibitions by which the Minister of Culture Lubomír Zaorálek from the CSSD negotiated an exception to the opening ban. However, this applies only in the then form of the fourth degree of the anti-epidemic system.
She prepared the exhibition National Gallery in collaboration with the Wallraf-Richartz Museum and the Corboud Foundation in Cologne. Rembrandt’s works have been lent by the Metropolitan Museum in New York, the National Gallery in London, the Prado in Madrid, the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam and the Albertina in Vienna. The exhibition was the gallery’s central project last year, and its former director Anne-Marie Nedoma said before opening that so many important works of art by Rembrandt and his companions have not yet been seen by people in Prague.
Like Rembrandt, the duration of the Sun Kings exhibition at the Prague National Museum has been newly extended until 6 June. Rare archaeological finds from Egypt must originally be on view by February 7. Due to the epidemic of covid-19, the exhibition was open to the public for only 65 days, over 35,000 people.
The Sun Kings have been in the main building of the National Museum since the end of last August. At the end of the year, negotiate with the Supreme Council for the Monuments of Egypt and other foreign and Czech lenders about the possibility of extending the start of the museum’s management. “These days, we can make an agreement to extend this unique international exhibition project by a full four months,” says the museum.
The director of the National Museum, Michal Lukeš, told Czech Television that the extension of the exhibition was approved by the Egyptian government this Wednesday. In addition to negotiations with the lender of rare objects, the museum also had to negotiate an extension of the insurance of the exhibited artifacts and further provision of a state guarantee.
The exhibition, prepared for many years, includes 300 exhibits, including 80 objects found by a Czech expedition in the archeological site of Abúsír, where Czech scientists have been working for five decades. It is also a reminder of last year’s 100 years of Czech Egyptology.
The show with a total insurance value of around one crown of money is unique not only thanks to rare items not yet exhibited in the world, but also, according to the National Museum, also with a modern concept.
The value of the exhibits is incalculable, the realization of the exhibition is the fulfillment of the desire of several generations, we have the statue of the first lobbyist in the world so far. | Video: DVTV